Help choosing gas grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattsmith379

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2015
Hi all,

I’m getting ready to buy a new gas grill and can’t decide what to get. I want something that is going to hold decent heat during the winter months, high heat, and even cooking. I’ve narrowed it down to the following choices and each come with their plus’s and minuses and I can’t figure out what the best grill for the money and investment will be. We usually cook a meat plus a veggie when grilling and take up all the space on my current 3 burner and looking at only 4 burners now. Thanks for any help. I ranked my choices below. Also I’m buying a wsm 18 to go along with my kettle.

3 Weber 410 - $899, cheap, hate the open underneath
1 Napoleon prestige 500 - $1399, cooked on the 3 burnerbefore and liked, but good value? Like that I could use charcoal
4 Weber Genesis 440 - $1599, worth the money for an enclosed underneath
2 Weber Summit 470 - $1899 like the build, expensive, and hate the smoke box, seems like wasted space.

Reactions: robinson32
Well the answer is obvious.
If you get the Weber Summit, which is the most expensive, you won't wonder if you should have spent more.

For me, I always want something I can connect to my Natural Gas line.

Well the answer is obvious.
If you get the Weber Summit, which is the most expensive, you won't wonder if you should have spent more.

For me, I always want something I can connect to my Natural Gas line.
I wish I would have had the foresight to get it hooked up for that when I built my house.

I wish I would have had the foresight to get it hooked up for that when I built my house.

No tanks to fill. No tanks to go dry at the worst times.
It does tend to eat BBQ's though. I think my past BBQ's rusted out due to the moisture Natural Gas can have in it.
Or so I've been told, anyway.
The one I have now seems to be holding up well. It's a Char Broil. I think the DIL gave ~ $400 for it when she bought it.
Nothing like what you are considering, of course.
Buy once, cry once. Enjoy shopping! ;):)

No tanks to fill. No tanks to go dry at the worst times.
It does tend to eat BBQ's though. I think my past BBQ's rusted out due to the moisture Natural Gas can have in it.
Or so I've been told, anyway.
The one I have now seems to be holding up well. It's a Char Broil. I think the DIL gave ~ $400 for it when she bought it.
Nothing like what you are considering, of course.
Buy once, cry once. Enjoy shopping! ;):)
I’m really tempted to just go with the cheapest one. I’m sure I can’t go wrong either way.

Reactions: SonnyE
I have a Napoleon prestige 500, for 3 years like it very much. This is my second Napoleon first one lasted 18 years now I have Natural Gas.. But I was trying to smoke with the charcoal cast iron and did not get results that I wanted so that brought me here. I am going to get a electric smoker SI #1

I would buy a Weber, what ever you can afford.
I've had a Genesis for years & if needed replacement parts are readily available.
Al

Reactions: sandyut
I have a Napoleon prestige 500, for 3 years like it very much. This is my second Napoleon first one lasted 18 years now I have Natural Gas.. But I was trying to smoke with the charcoal cast iron and did not get results that I wanted so that brought me here. I am going to get a electric smoker SI #1
It sounds like you would buy again if you could. Besides the charcoal part what do you night like about your Napoleon?

I’m really tempted to just go with the cheapest one. I’m sure I can’t go wrong either way.
That 410 is a nice grill . You could close off the left side and back with SS panels and just leave the front open .

Just went and compared beefeater to Weber’s and it’s night and day the quality in the same price range. Pretty sure I’m buying the beefeater.

It sounds like you would buy again if you could. Besides the charcoal part what do you night like about your Napoleon?
It was not so much the charcoal part but one corner is for wood chips, I could not get any smoke taste into any of my ribs. The N gas part is great but the smoker Charcoal part is over rated. Dealers had a special on and it and a cover were a free gift.

Just went and compared beefeater to Weber’s and it’s night and day the quality in the same price range. Pretty sure I’m buying the beefeater.
Had never heard of the Beefeater . Looks like it has some great features and well built . Did you see it in person ?
Night and day difference in quality ? Must really be nice .

I have the Summit 670 (I think that's the number). I was hesitant but my wife insisted getting the best we could afford. It is awesome. The amount of burners means I can do low and slow or blazing hot. I suggest getting the best you can afford and don't look back.

I've had a broil king for about 5 years now and it stays outside under a grill cover year round. Not one spot of rust and still going strong.

Soon as I win the lottery I am going to build a huge outdoor kitchen and get a new one!

My dad, who's still alive and kickin', gave me one piece of advice that has served me well and saved a TON of money. He said, "Always buy first what you'd buy last. You'll save money and enjoy it more."

The common wisdom is buy cheap and upgrade. When you add in the cost of the upgrades, that last purchase costs a small fortune.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky