Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

towtruck

Original poster
Jul 11, 2018
Another new guy to the board. Checking in and jumping right in with a question. First, I have been smoking and BBQ'ing for quite some time. My two favorites to make are BBQ chicken and smoked pork ribs. I have used just about every design out there from the old flat BBQ, Weber's, offset smokers, gas griills, etc. I currently do most of my cooking on either a standard Weber or a regular offset grill. I am a tinkerer and can build just about anything and fix just about anything. I recently acquired two chunks of 8x 12 x 1/2" box beam. Eack piece is six feet long. My brain tells me I can make a rib smoker out of these pieces. I don't have the experience to know how my initial design will work out. Having a small cook chamber may prove trouble. My thought is to have a cooking area in the horizontal area and the vertical. Venting and air flow regulation have not been factored in yet. Here is a badly drawn picture of my design to start with....Am I crazy to think this might work? Thanks for any replies in advance. I work afternoons and am headed off now so I will get back here when I can. TT
H5jceif.png

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota. I think your idea is a bit basic but you won't know if you don't try it.
Thanks for the welcome. I know the idea is pretty simple but those two chunks of steel weight 700 lbs.....I'd hate to waste them but my mind is made up that I'm going to figure out a way to make them work.

Just wanted to welcome you to the site, sorry I'm not a builder so I cannot help with your question.

Chris

Welcome to the forum!
Glad to have you join the group!
I'm no builder either, but I'm sure one will be along shortly.
Or you can start a thread in the smoker build section.
Al

Welcome from NW Georgia.
You have come to a happy place.
Your d sign looks intriguing and possible. I would also suggest you start a thread in the smoker build section. You will get more response there.

Weedeater

That does look interesting. I would be concerned 8X12 wouldn't hold enough fuel to generate adequate heat for all that steel. But then again, I'm not an engineer.

I would check out one of several BBQ calculators out there (this is a good one) to help in finalizing your plans. I envy your ability to build from scratch. Let us know how it turns out and please post pictures of the build process.

And I almost forgot.....welcome to the forum!!

Thanks everyone, I will post up the design in the builder area and see what pops up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky