Hello from South Florida ( Palm Beach County )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EaOutlaw1969

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Lake Worth, Florida
Hi everyone I am a ex Mechanic forced into early retirement because of multiple failed back and neck surgeries. I am a new here but not to BBQ, Smoking, or just eating good food.
I am here to learn more and perhaps make some friends along the way that share a common passion.

I have multiple reasons for embracing Smoking foods and BBQ in general,first and foremost I love my Wife but because of my disability and pain level she does more than the lions share of work around the house. in fact most of the time I am couch bound all day and she has to do more for me than any Wife should ever have to put up with for that I am very grateful, With this in mind if I can take the load off her in anyway while I feel good enough to contribute I like to do so in a way that makes her and her taste buds happy.

Other reasons I have embraced BBQ and smoking foods is to bring the heat outside to help keep our electric bill down, maintain consistent Air conditioning temperatures and provide meal preparation alternatives during power outages from Hurricanes.

With storm preparation in mind it is important to me to have the ability to Smoke meats for food preservation with multiple fuels ( Charcoal and propane ) during major storm events even the threat of one will tax local resources, Fuel for generators, Propane, and Charcoal become scarce valuable commodities So I cannot count on having any one fuel source on hand when needed.

My back up generator gobbles up 87 octane like a kid with candy at Halloween and is dangerous to store in large amounts. I have 8 5 gallon Metal safety cans that I keep on hand and fill up when it looks like a major event is looming. But my Goal is to also have 10 20 pound propane tanks on hand for my future generator dual fuel propane kit install and to use when needed for grilling and or smoking foods.

The safest and easiest to store fuel source is Charcoal which I plan to also stock pile yet hope to never have to use. ( mainly because with my disability maintaining steady temperatures on a long Smoke-cook session with charcoal has proven too much for my neck and back )

So I have Converted my Dyna Glo Vertical upright offset smoker to use Propane but it can easily use Charcoal with a second Ash pan if needed.

My focus here will be to learn more about reheating smoked-cooked stock piled frozen meats, Learning different grilling - smoking recipes, and find out more about smoker - grill modifications to extend fuel and provide consistent temperatures while smoking foods.

This has gotten long winded so I will make another post to show my Grill and Smoker plus current mods. hopefully I will be able to gain some insight from you fine folks and share some things I have learned about prepping.

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun. I haven't seen a metal gas can in years. I thought they had become extinct.

Chris

Reactions: EaOutlaw1969
Yeah i had to order them online But I wish I would have bought the ones with the drain valve built onto the bottom. They are too heavy for me to pour directly into a car or generator So I have to use my mechanics stool to help transfer it to a plastic tank without the flashback screen then use a rattle siphon to get the fuel to a generator or cars fuel tank,

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of good info here and lots of good people too

Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
I have a whole house stand-by generator & a bunch of smokers & grills, so I'm pretty set for hurricanes, plus I'm smack in the middle of the state.
Al

Thank you for the warm welcome, i am happy to say thanks to this site I enjoyed my first smoked hamburger today and it was out of this world good. I would never have thought to smoke a burger for some reason. How silly was I.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky