Hello from Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
After wanting a smoker for a couple of years a friend finally talked me into buying one a couple of weeks ago. After dozens of failures cooking ribs on a grill and every way else imaginable the first baby backs off my new smoker truly hooked me on smoking. I'm just a beginner and look forward to any advice that those with more experience can share with me.  

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

welcome1.gif
 Glad your here.Lot's of good info here

Welcome and enjoy, pretty good size Ohio contingent here.

icon_redface.gif
OK where is Prebele county at in relation to Sandusky (think Cedar point/lake Erie shore line).

I'm pretty far south from Sandusky. About 34 miles northwest from Cincinnati. Also 1 mile form the Ohio/Indiana border. Work in Cincinnati.

Welcome to the SMF Family...What kind of smoker did you get?...JJ

A Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker with the digital controller. With it being on sale, a $20.00 discount coupon, free ship to store, and a gift card I got it for $121.99 out of pocket. I considered it at first just an entry level smoker. I have only used it four times. I did some very good ribs on it the first try. Smoked brats on this smoker is a true delicacy. Brats are an easy smoke of 90 minutes with an Apple/Hickory wood mix. I'll keep the smoker just for the brats.

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF. You'll really like this place for there are a bunch of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking meat. Then if you have any questions you just post them here or yu can try in chat for a faster answer. If you are really new to all of this I would recommend that you look up and take the e-course. It is free and it will also give you the basics on smoking. So with all that said now go and get something to smoke.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. I suggest you check out the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info. Smoking Basics 5-Day eCourse

Some things that I have learned in my first couple of weeks of smoking. I have tried Apple, Cherry, and Hickory chips. I much prefer a 50/50 mix of Apple and Hickory chips. Meat can be over spiced. I bought a couple of highly advertised spicy rubs. These rubs just killed the flavor of the smoked meat. All that I could taste was the flavor of these rubs.This was too much for me. I have ordered some milder rubs. I have a 30" digital Masterbuilt smoker. At first I smoked with the vent closed. That was bad. Then I tried smoking with the vent fully open. Better, but my chips burned out in about 15 minutes. I found out that leaving the vent half open works best for me. Still working on my baby backs. Not there yet.      

interesting, most of us with the MES models leave the vents wide open.  Are you not using enough chips?  you should get 30 minutes out of a handful unless you have a bag that is more like minature shreds than chips.

I have pretty much stopped using pre-made rubs and just throw something together or use Jeff''s rub.  Also remember, thin and blue not billowing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky