Hello, From Neenah, WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamiedolan

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
HI;

I'm from Neenah, WI.  About 6 years ago I got a propane smoker, (just a 4 foot tall metal box with 3 or 4 racks, no idea of the brand) which I got rid of after about 3 years of use because the burner started having problems.  It also did not heat very evenly.  I used a inexpensive electric smoker many years ago and remember it doing a fairly good job, but gave it to a family member when we moved.

This past week when trying to decide on a christmas present for my spouse I started looking at smokers on Amazon.  I came across the Smokin it unit.  They had a special this weekend so I ordered one as a Christmas present.  I ended up getting the #3 instead of the #2 because the #2 was out of stock and they could not guarantee delivery for Christmas.

I'm starting to look forward to having a smoker again and have been looking up recipes, rubs, etc. for the last 2 days.  I think I found this forum when I was search for the best rubs to use.

They shipped the unit out right away yesterday and it will be here tomorrow, but I won't get to try it until after Christmas.  

Jamie

Welcome to SMF. Christmas is coming fast, you'll be smoking in no time. What is the first smoke going to be?
Ive been trying to figure out what to start with.  I know I'm suppose to give it a few hours of seasoning time, but was thinking that I might be able to season it Christmas evening then throw in some ribs overnight for lunch the next day.  Thought I'm not sure how long I could leave ribs in for in a smoker like this one I'm getting.  In the propane smoker I had I never tried anything beyond a few hours, but didn't have very good temp control.  In the electric one we had years ago we mainly made fish and jerky.  

I looked up recipes for smoked ribs, but most are talking about more like 4 or 5 hours at a higher temp, 250-300+.  I'll have to do some more reading.

I'm still trying to decide on accessories that I need to order also (e.g. gloves for pulling meat, thermometer, etc.)

Thanks,

Jamie

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the group Jamie!  Congrats on the new Smokin It...those look like nice rigs.  Sounds like its gonna be a Merry Christmas for you!

Red

Cook a few simple things to get the feel of your smoker, make sure it's working properly. I use an off set RF but what you are looking for is internal temp of your meat, Ribs I do the 3-2-1 method at 225  Have fun and try different things.

Gary

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  It's been a busy week with the holidays.  I'm looking forward to trying out the new unit on christmas.  I'm just trying to figure out what to do for a thermometer when I do a larger piece of meat, lots of options.  

Jamie

MERRY CHRISTMAS from GARY in EAST TEXAS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky