Hello from Indiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tater140

Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Well here we go.  My neighbor gives me a smoker... A Brinkman cabinet style charcoal smoker that is.  He did have the foresight to tell me the thermometer was off by about 30 degrees.  I was able to stick a thermometer in the vent at the top and it seemed to read ok, at least well enough.  Having always enjoyed BBQ style foods I was excited, but not really sure if I could pull it off.  I did some quick reading and last Saturday decided to give it a go.  I smoked a pork loin, it turned out great (just had some leftovers for breakfast in fact), and now i'm excited to do it some more. I cut the loin in half and wrapped half with bacon, the other half just a dry rub.  It took me almost 4 hrs to get it to 145 degrees.   I had just as much fun building a good charcoal fire, and playing around with that.  I signed in so I could start do do some reading and see just what it is I need to try next.  I will be browsing around here in the near future.  I think next in order is to buy me a good thermometer.

Homebrewing beer is my other hobby.  I don't see any reason these two can't go hand in hand.

http://s453.photobucket.com/user/chd8903/media/First_zpsb190ca12.jpg.html

Yes, home-brew and smoking do go hand-in-hand. A little known fact is that ancient man invented home-brew to stay refreshed while laboring over those long Mammoth smokes.

Hello Tater, from a starting to cool down East Texas and welcome to the forum. Lots of great information and real good people here.   

Gary S

Welcome aboard.  Good to see another Hoosier.  Do yourself a favor and spend as much time as you can reading this forum and then go look up "fatties".  Your life will never be the same.

Oddly enough I made a fatty a couple of years ago after finding the recipe on a fishing forum.  I cooked it on my cousins smoker at the time while on a camping trip.   It definitely turned out fantastic, and is something that an impression on me.  I look forward to making another one someday. 

I'm closer to Fort Wayne, just west.  Little town of Columbia City.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...

Yes Dr. I am a smoker and a brewer!
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky