Hello everyone!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BeakerAthena

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
I've been smoking meat and veggies for quite a few years, but Brisket is still a new territory for me...I need help with my Brisket question.
I have a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30in Electric Smoker.
With that being said, know that I 'learned and self-taught' myself on a real smoker.
Brisket is a meat that I haven't dabbled in too much. I have smoked a small brisket, about 8lbs before and came out ok. Still working on that.

I purchased a 17.5lbs, whole brisket today, and plan to start smoking it on Friday night for Saturday meal. I will have to cut it in half in order to fit properly in my 30” smoker.
I have read that I should smoke my brisket at 225 - 250 degrees, about one hour per pound of meat. Internal temp 155-165 stall, and I can wrap in peach butcher paper at that time until it hits 205 internal temperature (butcher paper instead of foil to save bark). So excited to be doing this.

My question is….will my smoking time change because I have the brisket cut in half? OR should I continue to plan for about an hour per pound? HELP. Thanks in advance.

I would say the hour per pound per the weight after you have cut it in half. Again your IT temp will still be 200+ each piece and the smaller thinner piece will be done first. So keep an eye on it.

Warren

Awesome. So, not to be a big dummy, but say 9-10 hours, flat being done earlier... right?
I think I've got it.

If you separated the point from the flat would both pieces then fit into the smoker? If so that's how I would do it. I think it might take a little longer than 1 hour per pound. Start early you can always put it in a warm dry cooler and hold it for hours but it's hard to make it go faster when it's not done and you have hungry people waiting

Reactions: JC in GB
I agree that you should try and separate the flat and the point. Also, make sure you trim the brisket well. If you want more crust, you want more meat exposed. There are some good videos on youtube on how to trim a brisket.

"I agree that you should try and separate the flat and the point. Also, make sure you trim the brisket well. If you want more crust, you want more meat exposed"

This was my plan. I actually watched a few videos this past weekend on separating the flat from the point, and proper trimming. I purchased a good fillet knife as well to make sure I do this right! I have family coming in from out of town that I don't get to see too often, so this is REALLY important to me that I do this right! I will be starting at 9 or 10 Friday night and working it through the night. I figured, once it gets to 165, I'll pull it, wrap in butcher's paper and continue in smoker until it reaches 205. Pull, wrap in towels and place in Styrofoam cooler (thick one from Omaha Steaks). It can sit there until it's time to eat!!

Reactions: JC in GB
When trimming leave about a 1/4" of fat. Instead of pulling at 205 once it hits 195 probe it every 5 degrees or so when the probe slides in like butter then the brisket is done this can be anywhere from 195-210 each one is different. When you wrap the brisket you also have the option of putting it in the oven at 225-250 to finish if that's easier.
Good luck with your smoke and don't forget to take pics

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky