Hello all i am Smoke en Steve from WV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke em steve

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
WV
Well lets see i am a commercial pilot who grew up living in the woods in WV. I am an avid outdoorsman, i have a passion for BBQ and like to ride my Harley as much as possible. I'm new here but not to smoking. But still looking for advise. I have owned several charcoal/wood fired smokers. Built a few. And now am struggling with a MES 40. I'm looking for suggestions for the next step. More reliable / higher quality. I love the features of the MES but, well, I'll just apply the do not saying anything rule here! Suggestions please?

Sorry I was giggling while reading your intro. Sounded alot like mine. Well a little bit like mine anyway. Its strange changing from a wood burner. But once you to get comfortable with the electric, the ease of use will win you over. Electricity, it is either there or not. The weather has no influence, the smoke is always the same quality, and you don't have to tend it. Its like smoking for dummies, no offense meant.

This place has a search engine cram packed full of info, meat or unit or smoke specific. Heck if you still have a question this place is full of Guru's that love to help you. Its amazing. If you run out of new things to smoke this place will definitely inspire you. If you get bored there are folks here talking about more than smoking! But you'll get there.

There will be some great folks here soon to help you merge into the site effortlessly.

I just thought I would sneak in and say Howdee first

So Howdee, and welcome to my addiction.

Hi Steve! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 50,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

We have an Articles section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Hi Steve, and Welcome!  I too have both an electric and a stick burner with a side fire box (SFB).

I like them both, and use them.  Each has it's bright spots.

But most of all, keep smoking' with them.  I swore for a long time that electric smokers were not for me.  But a great ftalent and great friend (BearCarver) does phenomenal things on his electric smoker.  They are different, but both put out great food.

I finally figured out that a small hot fire is OK in my stick burner, but not in my MES 40".

Keep trying, and good luck!

Happy Independence Day! 
usa.gif

Welcome to the forums, Steve!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastimes...grilling, smoking, and curing great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask any time you need help and you'll get plenty!

Red

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!

If you didn't read the Terms of Service notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. Rule #11......"Off Site Links are not allowed here at SMF" is something new. There are other simple guidelines for all of us to remember as we interact here.

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Thanks everyone for the welcome! finally others who won't make fun when asked for the 900th time how it tastes? Can you tast the smoke? Is it to strong? You know the drill! LOL!
Well with out going into detail of why after 3 new units a controller and 2 doors I'm looking for a new direction in electric smokers!
I have been leaning towards the Smokin It - Model 3. it looks like a nice unit. Opinions please?
I like to cold smoke as well so that's important too.
I have the MES Cold Smoke Kit too it works very well after I rewired it. Nice long smoke from chips. I don't know ow long it will last though [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Thanks everyone for the welcome! finally others who won't make fun when asked for the 900th time how it tastes? Can you tast the smoke? Is it to strong? You know the drill! LOL!
Well with out going into detail of why after 3 new units a controller and 2 doors I'm looking for a new direction in electric smokers!
I have been leaning towards the Smokin It - Model 3. it looks like a nice unit. Opinions please?
I like to cold smoke as well so that's important too.
I have the MES Cold Smoke Kit too it works very well after I rewired it. Nice long smoke from chips. I don't know ow long it will last though [emoji]128542[/emoji]
I've heard good reviews and those Smokin It rigs...but no direct experience with them.  There is a growing number of members who use them, so you might post a thread in the electric forum to ask for opinions and/or reviews.

Good luck!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky