Health concerns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backyard bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Wernersville, pa
Ok someone please give me the real deal answer on this smoked meat is no good for you thing. I say in moderation, everything should be ok. But can someone, in short, please provide to me with some real info on this. My wife was reading about it and was questioning me. Thanks. Ps I just made some killer snack sticks yesterday that I will post later =).

Smoked meat not good for you?  Well, I guess anything is excess is not good for you.  I am not sure about "smoked meat" being bad for you.  Do you have some links to what your wife was reading?  I would like to find out. 

The only thing that comes to mind off hand is preserving meat by adding nitrates/nitrites but that too is in question.

curious.

Aaron

I didn't read anything anywhere in that article that said smoked meat is bad for you. The article was about Nitrites and Nitrates and din't even say anything about them being bad for you. So I'm really not sure what you are asking in this thread?

Well, I guess everyone has to die from something.  I might as well go with a beautifully smoked rib hanging out of my mouth.

drool.gif

I agree with everything in moderation, but if you listen to all the hoopla about which foods cause which disease you'll never eat again!

http://www.helium.com/items/1065023-dangers-of-eating-smoked-food

I found the above article which references the health effects of regularly eating smoked foods, but at the end of the article the author states that smoking or grilling your own meats has less of an effect.

Bill

Well since I started smoking meat and eating very regularly for about a year and a half now my cholesterol has dropped by more than 50 points and is under 200, the first time that has happened in many many years.

I'm pretty sure the OP's wife is referring to carcinogens that are present in the smoke. This has been discussed in this forum many times over and we even had a member who happens to be a Dr. comment on it-result from what I remember was (in moderation) the hobby we all partake in is not going to keep us from living a normal healthy life. perhaps one of our super moderators can look into a more through answer as to not worry your wife as much.

Caveman kills for meat, eats raw.

Caveman invents fire, puts meat over fire.

Caveman prospers eating smoked cooked meat.

Skip many many many many moons ahead.

Man still survives eating smoked meat.

Problem?

Woman telling man whats good and bad.

th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Now that's funny! Actually I doubt it in this case. Since she helped me stuff the snack sticks on saterday I will give her some credit. lol. But everything else I do, yes that is correct brotha'.

Just tell your wife that excessive worrying and stress is not good for the nervous systems and can weaken the immune system. So with this deadly flu going around right now, she needs her immune system in tip top shape! In fact, she should probably avoid harrasing you about anything remotely stressful until mid-July just to be safe.
roflmao.gif

Do you exercise?

Do you eat vegtables?

Do you water every day?

Do you drink alcohol in moderation?

If you do these, you'll be fine.

Like everyone said, everything in moderation.  After smoking a huge fatty, I was worried about my healthy.  But, I try to get in some daily exercise and I follow the 17 day diet.  On the weekends, I enjoy whatever I want.

As far as nitrates go, many root vegetables contain far more thsn what the FDA allows in cured meats. One thing however that it have read in many articles is that over cooking cured meats can produce nitrosamines which are far more carcinogenic than smoke or nitrates. So dont grill the hell out of smoked meats and all should be ok.

I have asked this many times, and will probly ask it a bunch more before I get a good answer: If all this is bad, how has humanity survived this long?? I don't know so much about the smoke itself, however I do say that in order to get a clean answer you would have to start with slow grown, no steroids meat first.

I have asked this many times, and will probly ask it a bunch more before I get a good answer: If all this is bad, how has humanity survived this long?? I don't know so much about the smoke itself, however I do say that in order to get a clean answer you would have to start with slow grown, no steroids meat first.
It is the same thing as when I was a child, my dad used baby oil and iodine on us all the first three weekends at the lake. We burned to a crisp and had great tans the rest of the summer and it wasnt until the 1990's that we learned that the sun could really kill you. So now that we have been warned that smoked meat could kill you prepare for a lot of unexplained deaths while we finally pry the cold rib out of your fingers.

Hers my take. Ill keep eating the stuff that comes out of my smoker or freezer. The foods that come prepared, heat and eat crap, is way worse than anything any of us make. Since I have started eating everything I grew or cook I feel better and have saved roughly $100 a month at the store.
We all know what has gone into everything thing we make therefore control what we put in our body.
If your wood is properly dried the number of toxins are reduced. So eat up everybody I'm sure there are those that will be smoked once they pull the meat from our mouths.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky