Heads up for those who bake a lot of bread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I was originally using King Arthur flour found in my local grocery store, which costs on average $5 for a 5 Lb bag, or around $.99/lb. Well when I upped my volume of bread baking and began feeding a starter culture, I really started burning through flour (and $). After a bit of searching I was able to find a local food distributor and buy a 50 Lb bag of King Arthur flour for a mere $13.19, or about $.26/lb! Almost 75% off the supermarket price! The place I purchased from is Dawn Foods from their Edison NJ distribution center, but a map on the wall there showed they have locations across the country. I'm sure you can get it from other companies too, just check your yellow pages or whatever for food distributors and give them a call.

Just a quick FYI for those who bake lots of bread...

BTW, if you are like me in that in most stores there are too many choices, just remember King Arther is the primo stuff. They also appear to be a good company that supports home folks and artisan bakers.

A 5# bag of KA in my local store is $3.38, which is a few cents more than some, and not as much as others. That's the brand I'm buying these days. I'm not up to 50# bags yet.

I was originally using King Arthur flour found in my local grocery store, which costs on average $5 for a 5 Lb bag, or around $.99/lb. Well when I upped my volume of bread baking and began feeding a starter culture, I really started burning through flour (and $). After a bit of searching I was able to find a local food distributor and buy a 50 Lb bag of King Arthur flour for a mere $13.19, or about $.26/lb! Almost 75% off the supermarket price! The place I purchased from is Dawn Foods from their Edison NJ distribution center, but a map on the wall there showed they have locations across the country. I'm sure you can get it from other companies too, just check your yellow pages or whatever for food distributors and give them a call.

Just a quick FYI for those who bake lots of bread...
Ask your rep at Dawn's if they offer any flour from Central Milling. Brands Central offers at some retail stores are Red Rose or Gilt Edge.. but if you can purchase their Artisan Wheat Flour (also sold at Whole Foods branded as their own organic wheat flour) I would urge you to give it a try. I have used it in bakery production for many years and have yet to find a flour that I would consider replacing it with. The Artisan is very comparable to 00 for pizza.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky