• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Having fun

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
  I have been on this site for about a month looking for building ideas on smokers.

So this week off we decided to make sausage.... Hence the need for a better smoker.  We made 7 batches to equal 200lbs of sausage. Thought I would share this and get some feed back. 

So lots of pictures .

We do our own butchering,wild game pork, and chicken we buy from people in community.  We get our family involved and some friends and go to town.... and maybe a beverage or 2....

We mix all our sausage at a 65 venison 35 pork trim, no extra fat added, And with our smokies we kick them up with extra spice bacon and cheese. A swiss, mozza and monteray jack this year. 

We made a couple 25lb batches of Andouille sausage, 1 was a jerky kit we converted to sausage a few years back, good one, but then we made Emerils version and crossed it with a Nola recipe I found and left it as a fresh sausage.... WOW is all i had to say, we have our new Andouille recipe. We also made a maple breakfast and a chipotle sausage. so now we are done until mid winter and finish up the sausage making. 

SO I am in search of a good thermometer i have been checking a few from posts out here and of course the smoker build that brought me to this site. It would be great to smoke more than 30lbs at a time. 

Looking for input as well as thermometer and smoker info. Thx. all and have a Merry Xmas everyone

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks fantastic! Quite the mega batch!

Looks like you need a full size walk in smoke house!

Lots of good digital themes around. I use the iGrill2 for pit and meat temps. I use the Lavatool Javelin ($25) instant read for quick temps .

Point!

wrwoelfel

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 11, 2012
You should post pictures of your setup on how you do all this deliciousness. Sausage looks awesome. Care to share you recipe? Oh and everything looks great.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
 I am currently using an old fridge setup that's cedar lined. It has been changed from an old hotplate for smoking to and old BBQ side burner I used for a few yrs with varying success. This year it was -10f when I was smoking so I ended up using a turkey fryer for smoke and heat source. I won't be home for a few days to show it... lol          

As far as recipe's  go yep I will share what I do or have. Everyone's tastes are a bit different so tweek it to your taste. And Thx.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
  I am leaning towards a smokehouse, just because of this. It's something I really enjoy doing so everyone usually benefits lol.  Thx. for the thermo tips. I will look them up today.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Looks great!!! that's a lot of stuffin, check out Thermo-works they have some good thermometers also,, some that will or will not break the banks LOL great quality thou. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Looks great!!! that's a lot of stuffin, check out Thermo-works they have some good thermometers also,, some that will or will not break the banks LOL great quality thou. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Wow. That's a lot of sausage. Should keep you eating for most of the winter.

POINTS.

GARY

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That's quite an operation you have there.

All of your sausage looks fantastic!

Point!

Al

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
 Thx. All. It started out as helping a friend and turned into a favorite hobby. Lots of time, fun and learning curves over the years. And well worth it.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
I do see a problem with your sausage making. You made too much to store. I would be happy to help you out with that.

Disco

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.