Having fun

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
  I have been on this site for about a month looking for building ideas on smokers.

So this week off we decided to make sausage.... Hence the need for a better smoker.  We made 7 batches to equal 200lbs of sausage. Thought I would share this and get some feed back. 

So lots of pictures .

We do our own butchering,wild game pork, and chicken we buy from people in community.  We get our family involved and some friends and go to town.... and maybe a beverage or 2....

We mix all our sausage at a 65 venison 35 pork trim, no extra fat added, And with our smokies we kick them up with extra spice bacon and cheese. A swiss, mozza and monteray jack this year. 

We made a couple 25lb batches of Andouille sausage, 1 was a jerky kit we converted to sausage a few years back, good one, but then we made Emerils version and crossed it with a Nola recipe I found and left it as a fresh sausage.... WOW is all i had to say, we have our new Andouille recipe. We also made a maple breakfast and a chipotle sausage. so now we are done until mid winter and finish up the sausage making. 

SO I am in search of a good thermometer i have been checking a few from posts out here and of course the smoker build that brought me to this site. It would be great to smoke more than 30lbs at a time. 

Looking for input as well as thermometer and smoker info. Thx. all and have a Merry Xmas everyone

Looks fantastic! Quite the mega batch!

Looks like you need a full size walk in smoke house!

Lots of good digital themes around. I use the iGrill2 for pit and meat temps. I use the Lavatool Javelin ($25) instant read for quick temps .

Point!

You should post pictures of your setup on how you do all this deliciousness. Sausage looks awesome. Care to share you recipe? Oh and everything looks great.

I am currently using an old fridge setup that's cedar lined. It has been changed from an old hotplate for smoking to and old BBQ side burner I used for a few yrs with varying success. This year it was -10f when I was smoking so I ended up using a turkey fryer for smoke and heat source. I won't be home for a few days to show it... lol          

As far as recipe's  go yep I will share what I do or have. Everyone's tastes are a bit different so tweek it to your taste. And Thx.

Reactions: wrwoelfel
  I am leaning towards a smokehouse, just because of this. It's something I really enjoy doing so everyone usually benefits lol.  Thx. for the thermo tips. I will look them up today.

Looks great!!! that's a lot of stuffin, check out Thermo-works they have some good thermometers also,, some that will or will not break the banks LOL great quality thou. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Reactions: ab canuck
Looks great!!! that's a lot of stuffin, check out Thermo-works they have some good thermometers also,, some that will or will not break the banks LOL great quality thou. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Thx. All. It started out as helping a friend and turned into a favorite hobby. Lots of time, fun and learning curves over the years. And well worth it.

I do see a problem with your sausage making. You made too much to store. I would be happy to help you out with that.

Disco

Reactions: ab canuck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky