Hatch Green Chiles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Wife just came home with a big bag of Hatch Chiles. Have any of you made poppers with these??
Need to make any changes? Taste?
Thanks

You can use them like I use Pablanos and Cubanelles, stuff them full of anything tasty and cook them any number of ways, baked, smoked, grilled.
Being a bacon fiend I tend to wrap chiles on bacon when smoking/grilling, like MEGA ABTs!
Mmmm soooo good.
Check these two out, would work great with fresh roasted Hatch chiles,
Without bacon you could layer them in a casserole dish and add a chile sauce and cheese... Oh hell yeah!

Roasted Hatch chiles go great on burgers, maybe some big, smoked beercan burgers.

The base flavor profile is pretty darn good, live fire roasting and all.

thirdeye thirdeye
Do you have a roasting drum? This one goes on pretty much any rotisserie for small batches.
The Mexican family that I pretty much grew up with had a chili roaster made out of a 55gal drum that was driven by a hand crank for small batches and a wash machine motor and belts for jumbo batches.

1597133815007.png

old golfer guy old golfer guy
If I had a bunch of Hatch chilies to mess with I'd roast them on the grill and make up some chili salsa to use on tacos, tostadas, tamales, burritos, eggs and damn near anything pork, chicken or beef. A little roasted garlic, roasted white onion, lime juice and cilantro. YUM!!!

Let us know what you come up with.

Good luck.
Dan

thirdeye thirdeye
Do you have a roasting drum? This one goes on pretty much any rotisserie for small batches.
The Mexican family that I pretty much grew up with had a chili roaster made out of a 55gal drum that was driven by a hand crank for small batches and a wash machine motor and belts for jumbo batches.

View attachment 458065
No, I use a weed burner on a 3' X 3' expanded metal. I basically lay some out, blast one side, then turn and blast the other side. A weed burner is so intense the skin blisters before actually heating up the flesh too much.

Turn down your volume, it's pretty LOUD

Thanks for all the ideas guys. But what really wanted to know, has anyone used these to make poppers instead of jalapenos???
Thanks

Reactions: 73saint
Thanks for all the ideas guys. But what really wanted to know, has anyone used these to make poppers instead of jalapenos???
Thanks
Sure you could make poppers out of them...but as with most of the larger chilles you are going to want to char the skin and remove it. It can get really tough to chew on.

Reactions: chilerelleno
My favorite pepper of all time. Can't get them here in Mississippi. Wish I could find them in a jar somewhere. I travel alot and a few Mexican joints have them year round. Chuys Mexican joint has several locations around the country and have them year round.

No, I use a weed burner on a 3' X 3' expanded metal. I basically lay some out, blast one side, then turn and blast the other side. A weed burner is so intense the skin blisters before actually heating up the flesh too much.

Turn down your volume, it's pretty LOUD

Damn, now why didn't I think of that?
I already have the weed burner and some Weber kettle grates. I'm going to have to try this with my Fresno's and Jap's next month when my crops/ actually only 6 plants of each..LOL are ready.

Thanks for the great idea.
Dan

Thanks
Heck yeah, just char them on a bbq grill over smoking hot coals or with your gasser cranked too high. Char them until the skin is black then toss them into ziplock plastic bags or a tightly covered bowl. Wait 20-30 minutes and the skins will slip right off with a little rubbing. Or take a bite of one of the raw chili's and see if the skins seem thin enough to leave of. If the skins are much thicker than a Jap. or Pablano I'd remove them. I'm guessing that they will be fine to use raw/ skin on for poppers.

Reactions: 73saint
I’ve got 10lbs of Sandias coming from New Mexico tomorrow. I’ve never ever cooked with them before. Thanks for creating this thread!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky