Hatch Chile And Smoked Ham Breakfast Scramble....Wow!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We've seen some really nice posts showcasing the Hatch Chilies so thought it may be fun to do a twist on breakfast utilizing them. Boy am I glad I did!! Hey Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) and Fred ( Texas Cookin' Texas Cookin' ) if you guys are into breakfast you might get a kick out of this one. Heck, even my good friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) might enjoy this post. I know he does breakfast regularly and this could easily be done on the patio griddle.

Start out by cutting up a big tater for home fries. Into a skillet with oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
001.jpg

Got the nuclear burner running pretty hot so this does not take long.
002.jpg

While the taters are cooking I cut up my last Hatch chili, some onion, and a nice pile of smoked ham.
003.jpg

Taters done and onto a plate to drain. Not quite up to par with what David does with taters but these were perfect.
004.jpg

Put the onions and peppers into an electric skillet with a nice dollop of fake butter.
005.jpg

Sweat the veggies down for a couple minutes and add the ham. It's already cooked so all you're wanting to do is heat it up, which it'll do as the eggs are cooking...so hang in there for a minute :emoji_wink:
006.jpg

Crack 4 eggs into the melee.
007.jpg

Mix all that up and make a huge mess. Sorry but there's just no way to take a nice looking pic of scrambled eggs :emoji_laughing:
008.jpg

Time to get my beloved cheddar cream sauce going.
009.jpg

Plate the eggs and home fries.
010.jpg

Top the eggs with the cheddar cream sauce, add tortilla chips and fresh guac. Out to the patio for breakfast before the gates to Dante's Inferno open back up.
011.jpg

Y'all know who this one is for :emoji_astonished:
012.jpg

Believe it or not, this is my first successful attempt at home fries. They never came out right and I figured out why this morning: not using enough oil in the skillet. For as long as I can remember, home fries have been a huge favorite for breakfast and the only time I got them was when we went out....which is very rare. Now that I know my mistakes from the past, we will be having these a LOT, especially being that they only take a few minutes to make. So, the main course was outstanding. I just love the flavor of the Hatch peppers and this was no exception. Add the lightly smoked ham and the cheese sauce and it was a winner. All in all a successful Sunday morning meal served hot and fresh as soon as Tracy got home from church. She was happy....right up until she discovered that I hadn't done my Sunday morning chores while she was at church :emoji_anguished: This did help me to redeem myself though so I'll take that.

Oh well, y'all enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll see everybody soon. You've been warned!!

Robert

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 8
Very nice breakfast Robert. It was nice to see the cheese sauce over it…..my buddy that was a chili and onion farmer always put a chili and cheese sauce over almost everything he ate!

Breakfast of champions right there Robert! That cheese sauce looked like a perfect match also.

Fred

That is just great Robert , and when I find the time ( normally colder weather ) to do breakfast
That is what I like a big plate of happiness, and love the cheese sauce on top, I normally through on a couple clices of cheese and under the steam pan for a second with a splash of water , BAM melted

Love the closeup, whoever that was for , lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Looks fantastic Robert. I couldn't eat it for breakfast(too much) but sure could devour it for dinner. The cheese sauce takes it to another level.

Point for sure
Chris

We've seen some really nice posts showcasing the Hatch Chilies so thought it may be fun to do a twist on breakfast utilizing them. Boy am I glad I did!! Hey Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) and Fred ( Texas Cookin' Texas Cookin' ) if you guys are into breakfast you might get a kick out of this one. Heck, even my good friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) might enjoy this post. I know he does breakfast regularly and this could easily be done on the patio griddle.

Start out by cutting up a big tater for home fries. Into a skillet with oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
View attachment 674080

Got the nuclear burner running pretty hot so this does not take long.
View attachment 674081

While the taters are cooking I cut up my last Hatch chili, some onion, and a nice pile of smoked ham.
View attachment 674083

Taters done and onto a plate to drain. Not quite up to par with what David does with taters but these were perfect.
View attachment 674084

Put the onions and peppers into an electric skillet with a nice dollop of fake butter.
View attachment 674085

Sweat the veggies down for a couple minutes and add the ham. It's already cooked so all you're wanting to do is heat it up, which it'll do as the eggs are cooking...so hang in there for a minute :emoji_wink:
View attachment 674086

Crack 4 eggs into the melee.
View attachment 674087

Mix all that up and make a huge mess. Sorry but there's just no way to take a nice looking pic of scrambled eggs :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 674088

Time to get my beloved cheddar cream sauce going.
View attachment 674089

Plate the eggs and home fries.
View attachment 674090

Top the eggs with the cheddar cream sauce, add tortilla chips and fresh guac. Out to the patio for breakfast before the gates to Dante's Inferno open back up.
View attachment 674091

Y'all know who this one is for :emoji_astonished:
View attachment 674092

Believe it or not, this is my first successful attempt at home fries. They never came out right and I figured out why this morning: not using enough oil in the skillet. For as long as I can remember, home fries have been a huge favorite for breakfast and the only time I got them was when we went out....which is very rare. Now that I know my mistakes from the past, we will be having these a LOT, especially being that they only take a few minutes to make. So, the main course was outstanding. I just love the flavor of the Hatch peppers and this was no exception. Add the lightly smoked ham and the cheese sauce and it was a winner. All in all a successful Sunday morning meal served hot and fresh as soon as Tracy got home from church. She was happy....right up until she discovered that I hadn't done my Sunday morning chores while she was at church :emoji_anguished: This did help me to redeem myself though so I'll take that.

Oh well, y'all enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll see everybody soon. You've been warned!!

Robert
Nice Robert, I would not be eating for the rest of the day after that meal....you guys with access to hatch chilies are driving me nuts. At least my poblanos are starting to come out in the garden.....I am going to try and find some hatch seeds and grow them myself. Not sure how the NY climate would change the taste though?

A fine piece of work there Robert, I'd hit that in a second! Man, that makes me want to fire up the BS flattop this morning, take the pressure off dinner. Need to get some taters. RAY

BAM! That is a anytime meal right there. Gotta really be in the mood for a big meal in the morning. But that I coult eat any time of the day.
I feel ya on the temps. We had a couple of days with mid 80s and low humidity. Just enough to tease. Back to the high 90s low 100s again and the humidity is creeping up too. Someone please tell Dante to shut the dang door!

Jim

Very nice breakfast Robert. It was nice to see the cheese sauce over it
Thanks buddy. Appreciate the kind words. I / we do love that cheese sauce and implement it regularly into meals.
my buddy that was a chili and onion farmer always put a chili and cheese sauce over almost everything he ate!
I would too if I could get away with it :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Great looking meal Robert, but don't restrict it to breakfast.
Very much appreciate the kind words Bruce.
Would be a fine meal for lunch or dinner.
I guess I'm just more of a traditionalist but about the only "breakfast" food I could eat for dinner would be creamed chipped beef on toast. I can easily see how somebody could enjoy this any time of day though.

Robert

Breakfast of champions right there Robert! That cheese sauce looked like a perfect match also.
Thanks so much Fred. It made for a nice start to the day: get up, eat, take nap :emoji_laughing: That cheese sauce is a staple around here. So easy to make and so good.

Robert

That is just great Robert , and when I find the time ( normally colder weather ) to do breakfast
That is what I like a big plate of happiness, and love the cheese sauce on top, I normally through on a couple clices of cheese and under the steam pan for a second with a splash of water , BAM melted
Appreciate it David. Whatever it takes to get melted cheese, I'm all for it!! We go through a LOT of cheese around here, although that's not really cheese, just a really good take on it that's readily available, extremely good, and super quick to make.
Love the closeup, whoever that was for , lol
Some degenerate lurker from north of our border that never posts anything, hates potatoes, lives in self-pity in a horrible environment, and couldn't cook a hot dog in a microwave :emoji_laughing: There's always at least one in every forum from what I hear :emoji_wink: Seriously buddy, this has been a ton of fun and it's been even more fun seeing others getting involved. Sharing the love!!

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks fantastic Robert. I couldn't eat it for breakfast(too much) but sure could devour it for dinner. The cheese sauce takes it to another level.
Thanks so much buddy for the nice comments. I just love that cheese sauce and use it on lots of meals, both breakfast and dinner. I only eat 2 meals a day so need that morning meal to carry me through the whole day....with a nap worked in along the way at some point :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice Robert, I would not be eating for the rest of the day after that meal
Very much appreciate it Cliff. This one carried me till supper time.
At least my poblanos are starting to come out in the garden.....I am going to try and find some hatch seeds and grow them myself. Not sure how the NY climate would change the taste though?
Poblanos are a very good pepper and if they are available, Anaheims can be a good replacement for the Hatch peppers. Not sure what it is about them growing so well in NM but maybe my friend Gerald ( snakehead snakehead ) can chime in with some info. He's from that area and might be able to shed some light on what makes these things so special.

Robert

Very much appreciate it Cliff. This one carried me till supper time.

Poblanos are a very good pepper and if they are available, Anaheims can be a good replacement for the Hatch peppers. Not sure what it is about them growing so well in NM but maybe my friend Gerald ( snakehead snakehead ) can chime in with some info. He's from that area and might be able to shed some light on what makes these things so special.

Robert
From what I read the Hatch plants like to be "stressed" meaning very hot and low watering

A fine piece of work there Robert, I'd hit that in a second! Man, that makes me want to fire up the BS flattop this morning, take the pressure off dinner. Need to get some taters.
Thanks very much my friend. I know you're a breakfast guy and I know that you're not into the super hots as far as peppers go, but thought this one might be one you'd enjoy. Was a pretty tasty meal.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky