Has anyone used a Smokai Smoke generator on their pellet grill or smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

VikingOne

Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Looking at adding a Smokai Smoke Unit from New Zealand to my (yet to arrive Camp Chef XXL Wifi) for cold smokes - Looking forward to cold smoking some fresh sausage - (Brats and Polish with cure) and freeze for summertime grilling. That is the unit I'm looking at although I know many others out there - btw this is an awesome forum and happy to be a newbie!

Just buy a smoke maze and make up some dust out of your favorite pellets.
If you have problems with the maze going out you can prop the door open with a small stick or rock so there is enough of a gap to keep the maze burning. I use a maze in my camp chef pellet pooper, and it burns fine, although I do nuke my dust for 2 minutes in a glass bowl before I fill the maze.
My way of thinking is the K.I.S.S. method works and works great"Keep-It-Simple-Stupid". You can find mazes on Amazon for $30 or less if you shop sales.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Pellet grills don't really make the best cold smokers. Without the fan running, or heat, the smoke tends to stagnate, creating bad smoke flavors. Vertical smokers are better because they create more of a draft when there is no heat. I use a simple cardboard box cold smoker with a AMPNS tray.

Thanks all for your thoughts - to clarify the Camp Chef XXL is a vertical pellet smoker and I like the KISS principle for now to add additional smoke and or cold smoke - I will start with the amazin' rig and use pellet dust - Skol!

Thanks all for your thoughts - to clarify the Camp Chef XXL is a vertical pellet smoker and I like the KISS principle for now to add additional smoke and or cold smoke - I will start with the amazin' rig and use pellet dust - Skol!

Ah, I misread and though it was a DLX. You should get good results with a tray and dust.

The Smokeai is pretty similar to the Smoke Daddy smoke generators. They work well for cold smoking and produce significantly more smoke than the pellet tube or sawdust tray.

I agree with Forktender with one exception. I have found the oval tube from amazen. Has worked better for me in vertical smokers than the maze. Either way they aren't expensive and work well.

A tube works well in my PB Austin LX and its a traditional design/ horizontal , I do potatoes in it for smoked tater salad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky