Hanukkah Smoked Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I've never used a sous vide, mine will be delivered today sometime, I have never smoked a brisket, and I'm tired of beer braised brisket.

I was reading about sous vide yesterday and All replied to a post that one could smoke a brisket until it got to the stall part, then bring it inside and sous vide it. So, thats what I will do for hanukkah this year. I have some questions.

Can I freeze half of the brisket and sous vide the other half, there are only two of us, or do I freeze it after I sous vide both half pieces?

should I put a temperature probe in the meat and pull it at the usual 210° IT, or is it a time question and pull it in 24 hours? Is shorter better or longer better.

Do I need the pickling spices or is that for flavor?

Is there a step by step discussion of this process somewhere so I end with a better product.

Thanks

Here is how I do them.
Smoke at 225-250 until IT is 150 degrees.
Then bag with salt & pepper, about 2-3 TBS each, and about 1/4 stick of butter.
No need for pickling spices, unless you cured the brisket & are making pastrami.
SV at 155 for 24 hours.
No need to probe with a therm.
If you are only smoking half then I would just cut it in half & freeze one half for later (uncooked).
Good luck!
Al

Reactions: Nefarious
Sounds like a doable process. Why not just smoke it all the way through? Just curious. I SV a lot of steaks and such, all medium rare. water temps about 134-138. Steaks about 4 hours, EOR 24 hours. Post up the brisket I am curious to see how it goes.

Sounds like a doable process. Why not just smoke it all the way through? Just curious.
I suppose when summer comes I will smoke a brisket all the way through. I live in Seattle area and it has rained almost every day for over a month. Also, the day light just isnt long enough for a brisket. I really am new at this and fumbling around in the dark, rainy night doesnt sound appealing.

So, if I can get 90% of the benefit by bringing it in the house, no rain and no fuss, it will be awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky