handsaw Recommendation for Cutting Splits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello! Has anyone found a handsaw they like for trimming splits (2" or so diameter) to length prior to putting in the firebox? I have looked at some of the motorized options and a handsaw might fit my needs a bit better?? Thank you!

Reactions: JLeonard
Ironically, I just checked that out. Great idea, but I don’t want to have to store another large tool, but it is still nearly a perfect tool idea for small splits as it holds and cuts simultaneously.

I have one of these that I am pleased with.
Don't cut wood for fire with it, but makes fast work of a 2x4.
Think I got it at HD.
Hand Saw 2024-03-12.jpg

I have a Makita 18 volt . Used it and a Demo blade to take most of an ash tree down last summer .
If you haven't seen the demo blades , they are wider and thicker gauge . Not as much flop / whip .

Say now...that's a good idea right there! Makes me wonder why I didn't think of it (forehead slap)! Lately I've been cutting splits down with a portable band saw...but my sawzall with a demo blade makes a lot more sense...

Red

With the sawzall, how do you safely hold a 14"-16" split while cutting?

With the sawzall, how do you safely hold a 14"-16" split while cutting?

I'd guess there'd be several ways to do it safely. I might start by clamping the split in my vise. I've also got number of different clamp types that would probably hold the split to a work bench while cutting. Or...I've also been guilty of going "redneck" and simply laying a split on the ground and holding it in place with my foot while cutting...probably not the safest method :emoji_wink:

Red

the demo blades , they are wider and thicker gauge

Great blades and use them a lot, especially for demo's
and I, 2nd or 3rd or what ever we are up to for using a Recip saw ( or what ever your brand is ) to size up your splits,
I have both corded Milwaukee and battery Dewalt, love them both and have their place depending on job

David

I also use the black and decker alligator lopper. I've done it with a handsaw. It's just way too much hassle when you can use the alligator lopper in seconds. It's also very safe compared to using a chop saw or something like that.

I have a good miter saw, but don't trust it for splits.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky