handsaw Recommendation for Cutting Splits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1710273845031.png

I have a bunch of bow or Swede saws

Stihl GTA 26.

That is too cool. It even has a holster!

I've looked at this. Not just for the smoker but for odd jobs around the house.

Jim
I've got one of these and it works great, very fast and much safer than my table saw.
If you cut a lot of small splits, this is a must have.

Any reason it would not work as well in seasoned hardwood as it does in green branches?

This is what I use. and it makes quick work of small or even larger splits. A little exercise is good for me...😉
I'm with you on that GS, I like the manual side of it for some exercise. Power everything makes us soft and lazy, Hahaha!!

Had it a long time. Paid ~100 for it 7-8 years ago. It's enough saw that if you do find wood you can scavenge or get for free that it will handle 4" braches pretty well. I don't know if it's worth what they want for it now. After all this time it's finally developed a leak and all the bar and chain oil will leak out. When I was cutting cooking cooking wood, I used vegetable oil as B&C oil. No longer cut smoking wood with it so use regular B&C oil.

BLACK+DECKER 40V Max Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch (LCS1240) https://a.co/d/18Xp7Cq

Go to harbor freight and buy a Sawzall for cheap, it will outlast your desire to cut stuff.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
After way too much deliberation…. I went with the Milwaukee M12 FUEL battery operated reciprocating saw. I will let you know how it performs.

After way too much deliberation…. I went with the Milwaukee M12 FUEL battery operated reciprocating saw. I will let you know how it performs.
Tool only or kit?

The kits are currently on sale,same price as tool only $149.Same deal I got for my Stihl GTA 26.Good score if you just bought.

Edit:if you open a HD card you get it for $124.Pay it off and cancel the card if you don't want the card.Great deal.

Last edited:
I purchased the M12 Fuel at Home Depot. It came with a soft case, 1 battery, a charger and the tool for $149.

Reactions: normanaj
Here's the update: Though it doesn't cut as fast as a circular saw, it does ok. 3 TPI Diablo blade cut through hard oak splits decently while I was able to hold them tight to a stump with my freehand.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky