Ham Loaf Breakfast Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cramerfunk

Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
The only place I've ever heard of ham loaf is at Fareway Stores in Iowa. My coworkers think I'm weird cause I make em stop every time we roll through Sioux City. Not sure what ham loaf is,, I think its ground ham with a bit of pork added, all I know is its good.

005a490a_IMG_20110715_180211.jpg

Green peppers, onion hash browns all fried up in butter, let that cool a bit.

c3f08e9e_IMG_20110715_183021.jpg

Tossed that stuff in a 1 gal ziploc with some cheese.

88d00123_IMG_20110715_183418.jpg

Packed that stuff real tight in a ziploc and folded it over a bit so it would fit in the hamloaf wrap. Tossed it in the freezer for a couple hours so it doesn't break up when i wrap it in the fatty.

c617feab_IMG_20110715_183541.jpg

The stuffing ready to roll.

7f549ed7_IMG_20110716_064827.jpg

Wrapped up and sprinkled with jeff's rub.

7a40c9e2_IMG_20110716_065234.jpg

smoked in the MS 40 with AMNS bourban barrel dust.

Sliced and ready to eat. I had a friend over who also makes fattys and he said mine was the best ever... win.

a9ccff92_IMG_20110717_104038.jpg

Looks great and that's some nice crispy lookin bacon! MMMMMM. Never tried using it for a fatty. Is the ham loaf you use, premixed (with the eggs, crackers, seasonings, brown sugar) or is it just the ground ham and pork? What wood did you use to smoke it?

I grew up in Southern Ohio and we had ham loaf (homemade back then by my grandmothers) but they now have premixed in the supermarkets. Also found it premixed at a little mom and pop smokehouse/butcher shop north of Pittsburgh, PA. I now live in Colorado and they have no idea what it is here, so I make my own and glaze it with a brown sugar/pineapple juice, dijon mustard baked in the oven.

It really looks great.  If you posted it, I muissed it.  What is the mixture/ratio of the wrapping (pork?, ham?, other ingredients?  Thanks JJ

I know what a ham loaf is, i have family in the Sioux Falls area spent many a summer in either Marion,Luverne or Sioux city.  BTW looks good, look into making a fatty piston, it works great.

I know what a ham loaf is, i have family in the Sioux Falls area spent many a summer in either Marion,Luverne or Sioux city.  BTW looks good, look into making a fatty piston, it works great.
If you don't want to make a fatty piston, you can always "borrow" your wife/girlfriends/moms cookie dough press!
devil.gif
 Great looking fatty and using the ziplock to make the loaf was an awesome idea!

Ash

Nice looking fattie, I was born and raised in Sioux City, Did the wrapping on the ham loaf say where it was made?Might be locally made here

Ham loaf is big here in western Pennsylvania. You can buy it pre-made in pans ready for the oven or buy the mix for your own creative efforts.

My Mom, and now my wife, mix the ground ham with crushed graham cracker crumbs and top with a dry mustard glaze. I love it.

-Tom

2011 N FL Gathering attendee

The Ham Loaf was from Fareway Grocery in Sioux City. I have no idea whats in it, there is no bread/crackers added. I guess its just ground ham. I didn't add anything to the hamloaf to help it stick, the bacon held it all together.

Smoked in the AMNS with Bourbon barrel dust in the AMNS. (just had some dust i wanted to get rid of. woulda been better with some apple)

I've found i get better results with the thin cut bacon,, the thick stuff doesn't wanna crisp up as well.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky