Gyros

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
After starting home from vacation. I stopped at GFS to look things over. The meat prices weren't much different then here. So I didn't bother. But I did get 10 pounds of sliced beef/lamb gyros. Along with crab meat. Also got some belly. And some mild whole peppers in brine. Got ideas for those.
So, on with the gryos.
Homemade Tzatziki sauce. Make this a couple hours before dinner to give it time to set up and combine the flavors.
3 tablespoons olive oil. I used EVOO
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1 cup sour cream
2 cucumbers peeled, cored, and with seeds removed. I gave them a few pulses with the food processor. Then squeezed with paper towels. Then let sit in strainer to continue to drain. These need to be dried as much as possible or you'll end up with runny sauce.
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 tsp dried.
Mix everything together. And put in fridge.

I threw 12 strips of Gyro on the flat top. And gave the sliced onions a quick steam to soften slightly.
Then I gave the nan bread a good slather on Tzatziki. I couldn't find any pita bread.
Loaded up with onions and Gryo. Had these with fries. The meat may look dry. But, they weren't. It was moist and very good.

P6200958.jpg
P6200961.jpg

Looks great, I think I am burned out on food, not sure what to cook, having to watch my sugar limits my choices on Asian style cooks. coarse cant eat uncle bens rice no more lol

Welcome home Steve!! Great to see you back my friend. You've hit my soft spot here. I'm a HUGE gyro fan. To me it's the sauce that makes them but love the lamb / beef combo with the meat. Tracy isn't a big fan of lamb so I just have to stick with beef...but that's OK as long as there's a ton of tzatziki on them. Excellent job sir!!

Robert

Looks great, I think I am burned out on food, not sure what to cook, having to watch my sugar limits my choices on Asian style cooks. coarse cant eat uncle bens rice no more lol
Haha! Thanks.

Heck ya Steve!
Thank you sir!

Yes sir like them gyros a great change from the ho hum food going on at this time.

Warren
Thanks Warren! I thought so too.

Welcome home Steve!! Great to see you back my friend. You've hit my soft spot here. I'm a HUGE gyro fan. To me it's the sauce that makes them but love the lamb / beef combo with the meat. Tracy isn't a big fan of lamb so I just have to stick with beef...but that's OK as long as there's a ton of tzatziki on them. Excellent job sir!!

Robert
Thanks Robert! It's good to be home. Now I have to get things ready for Fathers day dinner. You have a good Fathers day!

Looks good Steve,
Thanks Jim!

Guess I missed this one. Looks pretty tasty. I tried Arby's last week. Was actually pretty good. Have not been there since they took away the subs.

When I worked at a few greek restaurants back in the 90's, we used the same gyro meat and Greek pita from Gordon foods (Olympia). I still buy it for the house. I make gyros about 1x a month.

When I worked at a few greek restaurants back in the 90's, we used the same gyro meat and Greek pita from Gordon foods (Olympia). I still buy it for the house. I make gyros about 1x a month.
I get the same brand at restaurant depot, 10lbs at a clip and vac pack right away for single serving dinners. I don't get the pitas, just put over salad with a cucumber, dill sour cream sauce...less carbs.

Reactions: DemonPit
I'm not a dill fan...I actually hate dill (lol). Sour cream or greek yogurt, cucumber (drained/squeezed), salt, white pepper, garlic, lemon juice for my sauce.

Reactions: indaswamp
Love a gyro. It's hard to get a good gyro anymore for me it seems. The restaurants are dialing back the flavor profiles and salt because the old people complain! I'm quickly becoming old, but I step all over my food with flavor.

I make my own gyro meat loaf (better than the Greek restaurants around here who probably use store-bought stuff!) and the homemade Tzatziki is a must, and again mine is better than anywhere else I have eaten. It's a special treat and a lot of work so its not an "all the time" thing.

We try to not be too heavy on the carbs but I've been working in some sandwiches for special weekend treats like the gyros, brisket beef dip sandwiches and killer Reubens from my home smoked pastrami. Getting warmer out there and just talked the wife in to me making Italian subs for dinner too...she knows I'll get it right after she has tasted my builds from the sub joints. I've been known to make muffaletta too, thats one you wrap up and purposely let the sandwich soak up the olive salad in the fridge before eating.

Now I'm craving a sandwich...

Wow I just realized this was a Covid post. Those gyros still look good Steve

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky