Guru ready to go

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got the Guru hooked up to my 18.5 WSM. All these Beef Ribs lately got me going. Took beef short ribs and beef ribs out of freezer for this weekend. I use my Inkbird Wifi thermometer and put controller on smart plug. Can monitor away from home and shut controller down if needed. Should of just did this before buying the pellet pooper. After being on the pellet for a while know want to see how much difference. Another walmart in Dallas sold the Masterbuilt 560 for $150 but was gone quickly.

20200923_162604.jpg

How are you running that fan- full open? I’ve been trying to figure out the best setting.

How are you running that fan- full open? I’ve been trying to figure out the best setting.
This will be my first time. Plan on 1/3 open and see how that does. Holes on my 18.5 must be a lot smaller than the 22". People where using 3/4" hole plug to plug up the extra holes. I bought 3/4 and 1/2. The 1/2 was still way to big. Used foil tape.

Reactions: JCAP
I bought the same controller for my 22" WSM. What a game changer. I smoked 2 pork butts for 14 hours at 225 and the temps were rock solid. After pulling the butts off the smoker I was curious just how long it would go for at 225 and it lasted 20 hrs

Boy that is a nice unit, I have the older DX2, and it’s still working just like the day I bought it 8 or 9 years ago. Never even had to buy a new probe wire, still using the original one’s. I have my vents all covered with foil tape too & it’s also 8 or 9 years old & still air tight.
Al

I used a partyQ for long time. loved it!! great products . i ran that partyq on my 14" WSM through a rain storm and all other elements kept it solid! partyq fan didnt have a setting. it was on and off as the controller managed. not sure about that...sorry.

I having a friend use his angle grinder and cut 1/4" slot in the top of middle section to run wires through like the image below. Hopefully will work out.

slot1.jpg

why not use the rubber wire grommet hole thing? just curious.
Looked like that what people been doing over on the Bullet forum. Really did not know about the grommet thing. With the controller and Wifi I will be using up 4 or 5 wires sometimes. Buddy on his way over now. After trying to make hole for mailbox mod not sure I want to attemp another hole anyway.

Last edited:
Got er done. Wires just lay across slot nice and easy and just a small hole showing that shouldn't be a problem. I am happy. Should of done this years ago!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky