gumbo.. its finally time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

webowabo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
+
+
=
Which =
With
And
+
Combined with this fresh
=
Which.. when I wakie it will smell soooooooo good in my house.. and gumbo for breakfast. ..

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
There is no bad time for gumbo, and with most having a slight nip in the air....... The only bad gumbo is the one you run out of.

I really like smoked chicken and sausage gumbo. Its just such a rich and satisfying flavor.

<chuckles> I had left-over gumbo today for lunch.

It looks like you made enough to make some friends too.

Its Looks great man!

Man it smells so good in my house! I burned my tongue last night tasting the broth.. so I can't taste anything now.. bummer. Its alittle on the soupy side. . But I will be serving this at a bar so maybe it will last a little longer.
If I split the batch.. whats a good way to thickin it?
I believe I have enough okra..
I dont have any file.
I think its fine as is.. just wondering what ways people use t thinking up gumbo...or just let it role when we serve with some rice?

Anyways... Happy Sunday everyone!

Oh yes.....Hubby wanted chili yesterday....sigh.  I want GUMBO!!!!

Gumbo is great anytime of the day!

Kat

To thicken there is a lot of ways. You can add okra, add more roux.

Most chefs will bake off a roux seperate for gumbo and then add it to the ingredients boiling in water during the cooling process. Just never similars. Roux to water or water to roux must always be opposites as hot to cold or cold to hot. Hot to hot breaks the roux and gives a grainy taste, and I guess cold to cold can't work for obvious reasons...LOL

So just pull out a cast iron skillet, make a roux let it cool and then stir it into the hot gumbo. Remember a roux has not reached it full thickening capacity until its reached its boiling point.

If you go with okra, slide in a little tomato also. The two just go together, like peas and carrots. Then add a small pinch of sugar to offset the tomatoes acid. Not even a 1/2 teaspoon , a for real pinch.

Last but definately not least, don't burn your tongue silly! LOL

Last edited:
To thicken there is a lot of ways. You can add okra, add more roux.

Most chefs will bake off a roux seperate for gumbo and then add it to the ingredients boiling in water during the cooling process. Just never similars. Roux to water or water to roux must always be opposites as hot to cold or cold to hot. Hot to hot breaks the roux and gives a grainy taste, and I guess cold to cold can't work for obvious reasons...LOL

So just pull out a cast iron skillet, make a roux let it cool and then stir it into the hot gumbo. Remember a roux has not reached it full thickening capacity until its reached its boiling point.

If you go with okra, slide in a little tomato also. The two just go together, like peas and carrots. Then add a small pinch of sugar to offset the tomatoes acid. Not even a 1/2 teaspoon , a for real pinch.

Last but definately not least, don't burn your tongue silly! LOL
thanks foam. After letting it cool down in the crockpot it thickened up enough.. but good to know for future. My luck I would ruin a whole pot trying to thickin it. And that would anger me something serious!

My tongue still raw feeling .. lol!

Looks great mike, Love the detail on the recipe and need to try this, A little confused on the third + though and am requesting just a hair more detail on that one!

Looks great mike, Love the detail on the recipe and need to try this, A little confused on the third + though and am requesting just a hair more detail on that one!
The third + .. looks to me like the trinity + the roux..
After chicken was smoked on the uds...
I deboned the chicken.. made a stock with left over veggies and bones and set aside the strained broth
I made a roux ( 3 times the charm) and once it was the color I liked I added the trinity (bell peppers..onion. .celery) to the roux and let the veggies take the roux color as they wilted...
Then added the the pulled chicken and sliced sausage to the roux/veggies mixture on low heat..

Cranked the heat in the D.O. up and added the chicken stock....
Brought that to a boil and added some bay leafs.. more salt and pepper.. some cayenne to taste..
And turned the heat down.. Once at a simmer I transferred to the crockpot for an over night low cook.
Added the okra in the morning and turned crock to warm...

Instead of rice bowl up ya gumbo and then add a scoop of tater salad in the middle of the bowl.YUM!

There's an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton's focus is gumbo. One of his topics is a brick roux. He says it doesn't add any thickening but it does add tons of flavor. I have yet to try this since watching the episode but am curious what everyone's thoughts are about brick roux.

There's an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton's focus is gumbo. One of his topics is a brick roux. He says it doesn't add any thickening but it does add tons of flavor. I have yet to try this since watching the episode but am curious what everyone's thoughts are about brick roux.
A rule of thumb is that the lighter the color of the roux, the greater it's thickening power. A lighter roux also has much less flavor than darker rouxs. A brick roux, the color of a dark red brick, is a tiny step away from being burnt (ruined) has a deep nutty flavor and no thickening power to speak of.

Reactions: webowabo
Ahhhh Mikey...you will be 'da man' of the hour with your bar chums. It looks awesome and gumbo is good anytime as they said. As far as the consistency, isn't the age old question 'Gumbo, is it a soup or is it a stew?'. I prefer mine a tad thicker than soup but not thick like a chowder. Regardless, like pizza and sex there really is no 'bad' gumbo. I always saved the smoked turkey carcass from Thanksgiving to make at least a gallon + of stock for my batch of leftover turkey gumbo. It's a great way to maximize mileage out of the bird and get rid of all those scraps of turkey floating around in the fridge and the smoky flavor and aroma is heavenly wafting through the house.....Willie

Dis1 is right on about the thickening power, you have to adjust the roux amount you make by the color that you intend. Its sort of funny around here that most that like darker rouxs like thinner gumbos usually because that is how Momma made it for 'em.

Also the potato salad in the gumbo, it was originally a regional thing. But now most of the finer resturants do it. The potato salad really is good with the gumbo, although I never though of it as a thickening agent. Clever useage there Eman. I was in my 30's the first time I ever saw a potato salad scoop on the side of a gumbo bowl and a childhood friend had to convience me to try it at that. LOL

To me the Culinary Arts have really taken off the last 15/20 years. People are becoming more creative and learning more about the interactions of foods. We see more Chefs and less hash throwers, more resturants and less greasy spoons. We see more chefs learning what the greasy spoons were really selling and how to make it even better.

Anyway......  We want to know, did ya have any left overs Webowabo? Did ya make 'em all happy, did ya add extra salt to sell more beer? LOL J/K

Reactions: webowabo
Ahhhh Mikey...you will be 'da man' of the hour with your bar chums. It looks awesome and gumbo is good anytime as they said. As far as the consistency, isn't the age old question 'Gumbo, is it a soup or is it a stew?'. I prefer mine a tad thicker than soup but not thick like a chowder. Regardless, like pizza and sex there really is no 'bad' gumbo. I always saved the smoked turkey carcass from Thanksgiving to make at least a gallon + of stock for my batch of leftover turkey gumbo. It's a great way to maximize mileage out of the bird and get rid of all those scraps of turkey floating around in the fridge and the smoky flavor and aroma is heavenly wafting through the house.....Willie
I agree with you all yhe the way around! Bar chums ate it up!

A rule of thumb is that the lighter the color of the roux, the greater it's thickening power. A lighter roux also has much less flavor than darker rouxs. A brick roux, the color of a dark red brick, is a tiny step away from being burnt (ruined) has a deep nutty flavor and no thickening power to speak of.

Something I dont remember ever coming across. . Ill try a lighter color roux next time... I always go as dark as I can... but I like the less nuttier flavor personally. Just always made a dark caramel. Thanks for the tips!
Dis1 is right on about the thickening power, you have to adjust the roux amount you make by the color that you intend. Its sort of funny around here that most that like darker rouxs like thinner gumbos usually because that is how Momma made it for 'em.

Also the potato salad in the gumbo, it was originally a regional thing. But now most of the finer resturants do it. The potato salad really is good with the gumbo, although I never though of it as a thickening agent. Clever useage there Eman. I was in my 30's the first time I ever saw a potato salad scoop on the side of a gumbo bowl and a childhood friend had to convience me to try it at that. LOL

To me the Culinary Arts have really taken off the last 15/20 years. People are becoming more creative and learning more about the interactions of foods. We see more Chefs and less hash throwers, more resturants and less greasy spoons. We see more chefs learning what the greasy spoons were really selling and how to make it even better.

Anyway......  We want to know, did ya have any left overs Webowabo? Did ya make 'em all happy, did ya add extra salt to sell more beer? LOL J/K
Foam... I was able to grab the last 2 bowls worth to take to my mom and dad.... I realized I never even had a bowl myself. .. other than sampling with my burnt tongue. ..

I made bigger than usual so I could freeze some individuals for myself... that didnt work... guess illl make another batch with yalls tips for me only :)

Thanks everyone.. Hope yall have a great week!

Hey Mikey,

I'm sorry that I missed this post from the weekend! It looks awesome, and great pictures too!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky