Guajillo Shrimp Tacos w/ Chile de Arbol Sauce (Bachelor Week)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe those look great, and a whole heap better then my first attempt at a taco. Thanks for posting the how-to.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris, that is high praise coming from you, I appreciate it. Thanks for the point too.

Man cant believe I missed this one thanks for sending me the link. Those look absolutely amazing! We love doing shrimp tacos around here and that sauce you made looks delicious will have to give it a try!

Man cant believe I missed this one thanks for sending me the link. Those look absolutely amazing! We love doing shrimp tacos around here and that sauce you made looks delicious will have to give it a try!

Thanks John, appreciate the kind words. Shrimp tacos are a favorite around here.

Another planned meal that I wanted to make for bachelor week was shrimp tacos. I've made these before as posted here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/grilled-shrimp-tacos-taco-tuesday.276241/

The only difference is I decided to skip the avocado tomato salsa and try out a Chile de Arbol Sauce. The shrimp were prepared the same way and the sauce was adapted from Tacolicious. The sauce is an orange sauce found at West Coast Taquerias, most notably La Vic's. I've never been to the west coast or had their tacos, but I really liked how this sauce came out. Recipe at the end of the post.

16-20 size shrimp thawed, peeled and marinated in Guajillo pepper adobo. I get this from Wegman's.
View attachment 411295

Shrimp was marinated for 8 hours and then grilled:
View attachment 411296

Shrimp all done:
View attachment 411297

Tacos were assembled using grilled corn tortillas, cilantro, onion and the Arbol sauce. Then I topped with a little queso fresco. I wanted to keep these simple.

Guajillo shrimp tacos:
View attachment 411298
View attachment 411299
View attachment 411300

These were very good. They were actually pretty spicy with the guajillo marinade. I really liked the Chile de Arbol sauce. It had a very creamy texture even though there was no dairy. Here's the recipe.

Chile de Arbol Sauce:

4 Roma tomatoes, halved
2 small onions, sliced into thick slices
1/2c. packed dried Arbol chiles, destemmed and somewhat seeded
2 dried New Mexican chiles, destemmed and seeded
5 garlic cloves
3/4c. Vegetable Oil
1/3c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2c. Hot water
1TBSP Kosher salt

1.Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles.
View attachment 411289

2. Slice tomatoes in half and slice onions into thick slices. Place under a broiler or onto a grill until charred.
View attachment 411291

3. Heat 1TBSP Vegetable oil in a pan and lightly toast chiles and garlic, about 2-3minutes. Take care not to burn garlic or chiles.
View attachment 411290

4. After toasting chiles, add contents of pan into a blender. Add 1/2 cup hot water and 1/3 apple cider vinegar. Let chiles sit for 10 minutes to soften. After 10 minutes, add roasted tomatoes and onions and accumulated juices from the baking sheet. Add 1 TBSP kosher salt and blend until finely pureed.
View attachment 411292

5. After mixture is pureed. Slowly add 3/4c. vegetable oil while blending to emulsify sauce. Continue blending until desired texture and smoothness. This took me about 4-5 minutes.
View attachment 411293

6. Finished sauce was put in a squeeze bottle. Here's how much it made.
View attachment 411294

Thanks for looking.

Joe
Holy Moly. Can you mail me some of those. I will pay the shipping!!!

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky