Grilled Shrimp Tacos (Taco Tuesday)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
In a nod to a previous thread I posted: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chuck-taco-tuesday.275313/#post-1827906 I thought I would show how I usually make shrimp tacos for Taco Tuesday at my house. I do these quite a bit.

These are done on the grill and take no time at all. The shrimp are marinated and I prepare the salsa beforehand.

I marinated the shrimp with the last of my guajillo pepper adobo.
E5A4FB95-F6DC-4E93-B057-EC683AF6753C.jpeg

Next I prepare the tomato avacado salsa. Here’s how I make it.

2 or 3 Roma tomatoes diced
2 avacados diced
1 small red onion diced
1 jalapeño pepper finely diced, use more for more heat
1 handful chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

All ingredients are prepped:
C6EBCAB8-6347-4BF2-B5EE-288962E68968.jpeg

Salsa is mixed:
A0DCBB09-6016-4810-AFF6-BDB79472071E.jpeg

Next the shrimp is skewered and grilled. About 2 minutes per side. I brushed these shrimp with reserved marinade.

Once the shrimp are done and removed from the grill, Corn tortillas are placed on the grill about 1 minute per side or until warmed thoroughly.

After the corn tortillas are finished, it’s time to assemble the tacos. This varies for me depending on what I have available.

For these tacos I used shredded red cabbage, homemade smoked Monty Jack cheese, the tomato avacado salsa and then garnished with cilantro and a little Cholula hot sauce.

Here’s the final product:
CDAC1342-CCF5-412D-A1A7-5FD68910E838.jpeg

1AED4B53-C259-442F-83D9-FB8EB09366C9.jpeg

AA265766-F608-4BAB-AE53-94E9D27D6AF4.jpeg

Overall, a simple, cheap and tasty meal that takes no time to prepare.

Thanks for looking,

XRAY

They look soooooo good. Thanks for the write up.

Reactions: xray
Those look fantastic!
I could definitely eat those every Tuesday!!
Thanks for posting your salsa recipe, I bookmarked this!
And congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Maybe simple and cheap, but those tacos are some of the best eats on the planet. You really hit my wheelhouse with that presentation. Great pictures too !!!! LIKE

Joe I am saving this Thank You looks delicious Points
Richie

Thank you and thanks for the like Richie. These are super simple and easy to change based on what’s available. Some times i make them on flour tortillas (still grilled). I just add more shrimp because they’re bigger than the corn ones.

Those look fantastic!
I could definitely eat those every Tuesday!!
Thanks for posting your salsa recipe, I bookmarked this!
And congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Thanks for the carousel ride Al, much appreciated!

I do eat these a lot, especially in the summer when you tend to crave lighter foods.

Next time I’m thinking about grilling the tomato, avacado and onion before mixing and seeing how that turns out.

The salsa recipe doesn’t look it, but it makes quite a bit. Enough for me to finish it off the next day with some tortilla chips. It’s nice too that there’s no measuring involved.

Those look damn good! And point for the smoked cheese!! I got an AMNPS for Christmas and enjoyed some smoked pepper jack on some brisket tacos the other day.

Thank you Lance, yeah smoked cheese makes everything better. I shred some when I need it. Your tacos sound awesome too.

One of my favorite things to add smoked cheese to...French onion soup :)

Point for the Kolsch (but tacos look half decent) :p Nice stash of GLBC Christmas Ale tucked away for safe keeping! We are 1hr away...

We've rocked shrimp tacos a long time and I am not saying I’ve perfected it but since it sounds like you are still playing around and you mentioned it, I will offer some tips.

1. TOTALLY grill the onion!!!! A must. It’s the key. Skewer and do after the shrimp.
2. Keep shrimp dry as possible. Dry rub not marinade. Then try forming a pellicle on the shrimp and it takes a much better sear.
3. I used to do a lime cilantro sauce that took a bit of effort, lots of ingredients, had to blend etc… Last time on Baracoa it was running late and wife said forgo the sauce and throw some a few cilantro leaves and sour cream on it. And there it was… OMG. Never making a sauce for tacos anymore.
4. We used to grill them but just nuke the tortillas with a damp paper towel to make them soft.

Thanks for the carousel ride Al, much appreciated!

I do eat these a lot, especially in the summer when you tend to crave lighter foods.

Next time I’m thinking about grilling the tomato, avacado and onion before mixing and seeing how that turns out.

The salsa recipe doesn’t look it, but it makes quite a bit. Enough for me to finish it off the next day with some tortilla chips. It’s nice too that there’s no measuring involved.

We do the same thing with a lot of our recipes, don't measure, just go by taste.
Al

Xray, those tacos look mighty tasty. I don't think my wife would be adventurous enough to do the salsa. She only wants avocado if I make it into guacamole but I'd love to try one of those babies. Kudos to a fine taco plate. I need to try something similar in the near future.

George

Maybe simple and cheap, but those tacos are some of the best eats on the planet. You really hit my wheelhouse with that presentation. Great pictures too !!!! LIKE

Thanks for the kind words Trout. I try to keep things simple. I’m kinda cheap too in that I always try to repurpose ingredients so nothing is wasted. Tacos definitely have a permanent place in my wheelhouse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky