Growin' Yer Own

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's a "Growin' Yer Own" tip.
Every time you seed a Jap you are throwing away hundreds of "free" jalapenos! Save the seeds and air dry them for about two weeks. You can start drying them on a paper towel and then just put them on a sheet of paper or a paper plate.Then place them in an ordinary mailing envelope marked with the contents. Vacuum seal or store in a cool DRY place. Each seed is at least twenty Japs or more.
The same goes for all peppers and even the high priced Holland colored peppers.
A lot of grocery store varieties are hybrids which do not fare well in planting. The BEST place to hunt for varieties you want are at farmer's markets. Especially ORGANIC farmer's markets. They are all open pollenated varieties and guaranteed to make you happy. You pay a bit more to start but you get your own perpetual seed supply too!
Then of course there are cucumbers, tomatoes, squashes, pumpkins, you get the message?
Happy growing!
Monty

Well, it seems that interest in this type of thread is less than overwhelming so I guess we'll just let it die. Thanks to those of you who supported it. If anyone has a question about growing herbs or other flavorful items pop me a PM.
Monty

yo monty dude,
maybe everybody doesn't see the hand in hand
smoking accesories, that home grown veggies make.

in my opinion, every one could benefit from a
little gardening project.

along with making home made sausage,
i have fun with my container gardening.
not to mention---good eats.

maybe big boss Jeff-- and boss Jeff [2 different people]
have been busy and haven't noticed the interest.

i will say that a "growing your own" for veggies thread is drifting a tiny bit
away from a MEAT eaters forum.

so i guess theres 2 ways to look at this possible subject.

I LUV THIS PLACE!!!

SRMONTY,lets not give up on this thing.Since its not the best time of year to grow things it might get a little slow.Spring is just around the corner,I can feel it in my bones.In the mean time just keep looking in those seed catalogues and planning for the spring planting.

Monty,

Sorry to have overlooked the interest in a Gardening Forum page. I too, grow a vegetable and pepper garden each spring! Seems as though there is enough people interested, so I will get with TulsaJeff and see if we can get the Ball rollin'!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Growing things like peppers, herbs, etc goes hand in hand with what we do best. And the extra kick and pizzazz your own veggies and herbs give really adds to the satisfaction of our hobby! Just need a spot, a little spot to swap ideas and vie for braggin' rights!
Cheers!
Monty

Your welcome! If you look into the Forum topics you will now find "Home Gardening"!!!! (Trumpet Fanfare!)

Jeff and I need you guys to post on it what catagories you would like to see included on it. This is Everyones Forum, so we have tried to make it fit your needs.

ENJOY!!!

Jeff (SoFlaQuer)

This topic has me intrigued.... Growing peppers and using urine as a fertilizer. So I've got a couple questions now.

1. Is it really necessary to buy one of those pepper racks for $15 or is there an alternative method that you guys use.

2. After a day of smoking in ones backyard, does it make it acceptable to take a pee break in the garden patch?

3. When homegrowing inside (or on a balcony etc...) is there anything special that I would need to know to produce a couple plants in a 5 gal. bucket?

Thanks all...

Dennis

Hey, Dennis. Hop on over to the Extreme Home Gardening forum, our sister site, via the link on the main page and post your questions there. This topic led to the creation of a whole new site and it is in the same style and format as this one. You will find a special section for peppers and a special section for container frowing as well as for soil amendments.
Cheers!
Monty

I too agree with all of you about growin your own, I started last years but dry weather didn't help much so the turn out was small this years install better water system and another thing about saving your urine I did look it up sure enough prove me wrong I would think it would kill it, wife think I was nut told her to look it up and she did so now she ok with it. We used lot of bell peper for our BBQ sauce along with other herbs the price of bell pepper is $1.00 each. So I be looking for more about this.
vette

Hey, Vette, Welcome to the forum! Have not had much time here lately and from reading your posts I can see you will be a great asset to our family here! If you want some real good pointers on peppers and gardening in general pop on over to our sister site and get thee registered. Then read on and post any questions. Use the wormhole supplied and hop on over!
Again welcome and enjoy!
Monty

Monty,
I think I will head down there next and start going down the line, and glad to be here to learn from this site I'm sure there lots of good advice here, only been a meats smokin for years now time to learn more about growin, what best and what not. and Thank
vette

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky