Ground Turkey Pot Pie (I'm slowly becoming a baker)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I intended to roast a turkey breast when we came home from family Thanksgiving. But, grandkids have a way of absorbing all your energy. I slept instead.

So, today I made a ground turkey pot pie because the breast was still partially frozen. I used the same butter crust recipe I used for my sweet potato pies.

1st note: I've never made a double crust pie. Until last week, I've never made scratch pie crust. Now I've made five, and they are so easy I didn't reference the recipe at all today.

2nd note: I've never baked a scratch POT pie.

3rd note: This baking thing is kinda addicting. My mind is flush with ideas on how to use smoked meat to make meat pies, pasties, etc, with this crust.

Pre-bake.
20221128_155121.jpg

Post-bake.

20221128_163541.jpg

It's gotta rest for an hour after the bake. We'll see if it stands up to the knife.

Happy leftovers!

Ray

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I’m with you on the meat pies, I made my first a little bit ago and it was tasty and a lot of fun! Yours looks delicious!

Reactions: noboundaries
Looks fantastic Ray. I love meat pies

Point for sure
Chris

3rd note: This baking thing is kinda addicting. My mind is flush with ideas on how to use smoked meat to make meat pies, pasties, etc, with this crust.
I really want to see how those baked pasties come out. LOL

In for the cutting!!
Looks good I'm also in for a sliced pic
Pulling up my chair to the table. Looks fantastic.
Oh boy! That's a good looking pot pie.
Awesome looking pie there Ray!
I like a bit more gravy in my pot pies, but yours sure looks delicious!!
Al
Thanks, guys. I never got it to thicken to the level I wanted, so I added some cornstarch right at the end. It thickened a bit too much at that point. Still, it cut nicely and didn't flow out of the pie, which is what I thought would happen.

Yep! I'll take a slice of that!
Looks awesome!!
And that's fantastic.
Thanks, all. I've done countless casseroles, so this is only the first of probably a countless number of meat pies.

Looks awesome! I’m with you on the meat pies, I made my first a little bit ago and it was tasty and a lot of fun! Yours looks delicious!
Looks fantastic Ray. I love meat pies
Point for sure
Chris
I really want to see how those baked pasties come out. LOL
yes , you are going to make many more now for sure
Fantastic looking pie
David
Jed, Chris, and David, thank you. Nevada City is a former gold-mining town in my area. Cornish immigrants worked the mines and pasties were their preferred meal. We haven't been up that way in a while, but we always stopped at a pastie shop before heading home. This butter-crust recipe will take those pasties to the next level. I've got the thickness nailed for a pastie.

Now I want to make a standing meat pie too, which uses a different crust. Like David said, "...many more for sure."

Ray

Looks fantastic and I can't wait to see your new ideas! Congratulations on the Feature too!
Thanks, KC. I didn't even realize I'd made the Feature until your post.

Love the looks of that pie! We don't eat much for pies as far for a dessert or sweets but your meat pie could be devoured! Now I have a craving for a shepherds pie!

Ryan

The crust that I have used here for my sweet and Sour hand pies is a
Hot -Water dough/pie crust. It is good for the standing pies. It is a little sturdier and holds
the juice and is still flaky

David
Thanks, David. I couldn't remember the name of the crust to use on standing pies. Once I get a turkey breast roasted, a standing turkey pie is probably next.

Love the looks of that pie! We don't eat much for pies as far for a dessert or sweets but your meat pie could be devoured! Now I have a craving for a shepherds pie!

Ryan

Thanks, Ryan. Ooooh, pie crust on a shepherds pie. I've never used anything but mashed potatoes. Time for something new!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky