Ground Beef Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Had 6 pounds of GB to make Jerky into. I also had a left over package of hickory seasoning and a package of cracked pepper and garlic. So mixed enough for the six pounds together with some cajun spices to give it a little kick. Used my blender and added the mixture to it with a cup of Dr peppers pop. To that I added cure #1 for 6 pounds of GB.
Got my meat tube out and go to work mixing it all into the GB.
I have a plastic cutting board made up with raised edges of 1\4 inch and laid out the meat as best I could to be as close to 1\4 inch thick. It is the same size as my smoker racks so laying the rack over the cutting board and flipping it over transfers the GB to the smoker rack with no trouble.
In the bradey smoker for 6 hours at 145°F and then down into the basement for the finishing phase of the jerky making.
All in all it was about 10 hours before it was done.
All cut up and will vac pack later.

ybFzMFS.jpg

uBQUFtJ.jpg

JmXikvm.jpg

CPBfQSD.jpg

4Tq3Erh.jpg

R0obLmt.jpg

Looks great love me some jerky!
Was the cutting board with raise edge store bought or custom made.

Reactions: KBFlyer
Looks great love me some jerky!
Was the cutting board with raise edge store bought or custom made.
It was made from a larger one and cut to size. It works but you have to line the board with wax or parchment paper to help make a easy transfer. I tried using a rolling pin to spread the meat out but its a pain in the butt and using your hands with food grade rubber gloves works faster for me.
I have a jerky attachment for spreading GB but it was just another thing to clean up so I did not use it.

I've just started doing GB jerky (I'd never heard of it until recently on this site and my tired teeth had had given up on jerky). My first batch was rolled under wax paper, etc. It was a PITA but it was such a hit I got permission to buy a "Jerky Gun".
I'm going to have to start doing bigger batches. A pound doesn't last long!
gun.jpg jerky.jpg

It was made from a larger one and cut to size. It works but you have to line the board with wax or parchment paper to help make a easy transfer. I tried using a rolling pin to spread the meat out but its a pain in the butt and using your hands with food grade rubber gloves works faster for me.
I have a jerky attachment for spreading GB but it was just another thing to clean up so I did not use it.
Tried a bunch of ways and agree try to spread by hand as even as possible

It was a PITA but it was such a hit I got permission to buy a "Jerky Gun".
Little tip for loading the jerky gun, roll up small balls ( dog turds) and drop them in.
Tried a bunch of ways and agree try to spread by hand as even as possible
Ground meat into gallon freezer bag ( approx. 1# each )leave small corner for air to escape and hit it with a rolling pin. Slice bag and flip onto rack.

I really did not want to pull the big guns out for 6 pounds of GB, now if it was 30-35 pounds of GB I might be tempted.
8gf2cIK.jpg
oJ5IWsD.jpg

Ooh
Home made water stuffer?
Yes a friend from another forum makes them in different sizes. The one I got will hold around 35 pounds of meat. I have it hooked up to a foot peddle to open and shut the valves. Works great on big loads but is over kill on anything 10 pounds and under.

I am looking for a new ground beef jerky recipe. Normally I use the gun to make strips but this looks like be easier. So you just cut it up after it finishes?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky