Grocery Shopping Advice to Save Money

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We'd see quite a bit more price reduction if they'd get diesel prices down. It came down a little, but nowhere near as much as gasoline did. Doesn't matter if it's groceries, or whatever, nothing moves without diesel, and freight carriers are not in business to move cargo at a loss.
I agree. Weird diesel is so much more than gas. Also that it drops so disproportionately than gas. Wasn't too long ago it was cheaper or atleast comparable to gas

Reactions: Flatrate and DougE
On a plus note - for those of us near a Food Lion - butts will be 1.29 this week. We see them pretty often for .99 so I'm not super excited but 1.29 ain't bad.

$1.78/lb is the lowest I've seen in quite a while on the West Coast. Sale price last week was $2.28/lb. I still have 4 in the freezer at 99 cents/lb from last year.

Been eating a lot of chicken at $1.28/lb.

Gas prices were going down, but they started rising immediately after the state vote to stop selling new gas cars by 2035.

Just talked to my friend at Albertson. They where told most everything going up another 20 -30% and will only be recieving about 20% of their orders. No end in sight.

Another good Aldis score:

3 large packs of boneless chicken thighs with 50% off stickers and a 3lb butterflied leg of lamb at $6.99/lb.

Reactions: tallbm
I think part of the reason grocery prices are up is the rampant stealing that's been going on the past few years. Back in the old days, they'd stop the thief and hold the thief and the thief would go to jail. Nowadays they just shrug and the thieves know it. So the thieves figure - why not steal blatantly?

Last edited:
Reactions: mneeley490
Make a list prior to shopping

Stick to the list

Compare UPCs

Use coupons

If you find a huge deal on non-perishable items that you use, stock up.

Many things like laundry detergent and cleaning supplies are cheaper in Dollar stores.

Most major supermarkets also have a section with dented cans at a greatly reduced rate.

Rotate the items in your cupboards-oldest items to the front....

Each trip to shop takes gas, and gas costs money.

Reactions: bill1 and chopsaw
We really stick to the list now. Didn't use to and we used to instacart but don't do that anymore. It's gotten so much worse because of inflation.

Make a list prior to shopping

Stick to the list

Compare UPCs

Use coupons
I'm actually spending less now than I ever have . Just because I've changed the way I shop . Using the store app is a big advantage . Chose the items that are in the sale on the phone app . Then at the register you get the savings . Plus points ad up and equal cash or free items .
I've been trying to only go every 2 weeks . If I run out of something I try to wait . If I need it I just go an get that one thing .

A couple weeks ago, ribs were 1.99 a pound there but everybody was buying like 15 at a time so they were all out when I got there.

• Sad
Reactions: mneeley490
Chuck roast - 3.99 @ Food Lion. Get 'em while they are hot. I don't see butts for a decent price anywhere this week. Couple of weeks ago my freezer was stuffed but I just ran out of ground beef so I'll be picking up at least 10 lbs just for grind. Might cure a couple of leaner ones and do some pulled corned beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky