Grilling chops and brining (with Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walterwhite

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Chicago area
For our Christmas eve dinner we had originally expected to serve four so I pulled a package of four lamb steaks out of the freezer. A couple days later our guest list swelled by six and I suspected that our guests might not appreciate lamb. At Sam's I found a package of nice looking boneless loin pork chops. (I think these are really just slices of pork loin...) I didn't worry that there were nine chops and I figured I only needed six. That's what the FoodSaver is for. I did worry a bit that they might come out dry since they looked really lean. I've had good luck brining fowl so I looked for and found recipes for brining pork. I settled on one by Alton Brown that included salt, sugar and cider vinegar and was spiced up with mustard powder.

In the morning I put the pork in the brine the requisite 2 hours prior to estimated cook time. After taking it out and rinsing it, I seasoned with some garlic, pepper and fresh rosemary on peanut oil and put it on a hot cast iron grate. This is what they looked like when I turned them the first time:

f4891488_DSC_4793-PP.jpg

I took the pork to about 160° F. I did the lamb while the pork rested.

40ec13b4_DSC_4795-PP.jpg

I just wanted to say that if you have not tried brining pork, you need to. It came out pretty good. In fact, there was no need for the FoodSaver this time. I had cut the pork and lamb into inch wide strips so that our guests could take a little or as much as they wanted. (My ulterior motive with that was to get some of them to taste the lamb as well - it's too good to pass up!) They left only a couple pieces.

It all looks great, but pass the lamb for me!

And you are right.  Steaks and chops are nothing but a cross cut from what would otherwise be a roast.

Good luck and good smoking.

I always brine Pork Loin and Chops they are just to lean to have much flavor and moistness on their own....Yours look absolutely Awesome, I love Lamb too...JJ

Nothing special. I like to oil the meat I grill to help keep it from sticking so I mix some peanut oil with salt, pepper and some fresh rosemary. And some mashed garlic. My desire for these was to get the grate good and hot to get a good sear and take them off while they were still rare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky