Grilled pork tenderloin with blackberry habanero glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
Here's an easy grilled pork tenderloin that's BIG on flavor. I had this recipe from my Dad who had it from https://www.mnpork.com/porkplease/blackberry-habanero-glazed-pork-tenderloin/
Don't be concerned about the Habaneros, this is not a hot recipe. If you are super sensitive start with one hab, my GF has a tough time with hot and we use 3 habaneros.

Let's get to it: brine the pork tenderloin. In theory this recipe is for two tenderloins but one works ;)
Brine: 3 cup water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 2TBSP brown sugar, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp black pepper, 1TBSP olive oil
Mix that all in a gallon ziplock and toss in your trimmed pork tenderloin. Be sure to have removed the silver skin. The original recipe says brine 10-20 min, I say what's the point of that short a time, go 4hrs or so :emoji_wink: in the fridge. All day should be fine if you need to brine before heading to work.

OK, the glaze/sauce. First - Do not attempt to make the sauce as you start grilling, you'll never get it finished in time! Your grill time will only be 20-30 min, I like to have the sauce finished before I start grilling and just keep it hot.

Glaze: 1/2 cup blackberry preserves (seedless); 1 cup, +1/4 cup Merlot; 2 TBSP butter; 2 TBSP minced garlic; 1-3 Habaneros finely chopped; 2 TBSP minced shallot; 1/2 tsp cornstarch
In a small sauce pan melt the butter and saute the habs, shallot, and garlic, don't brown just get them soft. Add in the blackberry and 1cup of Merlot, and start reducing. Once reduced by roughly half, mix 1/4 cup merlot and the cornstarch and add to the sauce, then make sure it's at close to a boil or the cornstarch won't do it's thing and thicken up.

20210325_173317.jpg

20210325_173633.jpg

As you're finishing the sauce get your grill heated up and pat dry the tenderloin then hit it with OO and salt and pepper. Slap it on the grill, then turn every 5-6 min. I usually get 3 sides tenderloins are willing to sit on. Once you hit about 135°F IT, take your now reduced but still hot glaze and baste well on all sides. Remove when you hit 145°F IT and let rest, at least 5 min. It's not a huge hunk of meat, but you should let it rest a bit.

Some grilled red potatoes with a bit of onion the side:

20210325_185139.jpg

Resting peacefully....

20210325_190522.jpg

Slice into medallions and serve with more sauce and your choice of side. I did some grilled red potatoes and green beans this time around.

20210325_191551.jpg

Dinner is served! (sorry got a little suace heavy before I got a good pic!)

20210325_192041.jpg

A couple notes: When making the sauce, add more blackberry and habs if you don't think the flavor is right as you're reducing. I find myself using closer to 3/4 cup blackberry. This isn't some finicky sauce that will break if you mess with it, so feel free to adjust to your taste. Also, make it a day or two ahead if that works for time constraints, it reheats just fine. For the Merlot, I think most other red wines (cabs, shiraz, pinot noir, etc... ) should work OK, the blackberry is predominant enough that the subtleties of most wines will be lost. Don't go using sherry, boones farm, or MD 20/20 :emoji_astonished:
The original recipe did not have shallots, I say why not!
The blackberry preserves: For those in New England you can buy at Ocean State Job Lot waaayyyy cheaper than the same thing and Stop n Slop or BigY.

Enjoy!

Looks like a tasty plate of food. What do have against a fine drink like md 20/20! That got me through high school😉

Looks like a tasty plate of food. What do have against a fine drink like md 20/20! That got me through high school😉

Thank you! Not sure the last time I had a lil MD 20/20...been a looongggg time...

That looks fantabulous! Definitely going to have to try this one

Thanks! Easy cook and you can prep most of it ahead of time if you need to.

Reactions: kilo charlie
WaterRat, you be the da Man! Ma Dutch came across a pork tenderloin in the freezer a couple of days ago and a guy that works for me asked if I had a recipe for a glaze that he could use on grilled porkchops. Now I know what's for supper on Sunday!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks and sounds great! Gonna have to put it on the to do list! And I don't remember alot from 30 years ago but I do know boones farm after alot of beers is not good!

Ryan

Well this is now on the official I gotta do list.

What‘s wrong with Boones Farm? Why this bottle, 1973 vintage, sitting on the windowsill in my shop, has withstood the test of time. There is no discoloration, and no sedement. What the heck did they make this stuff out of?

1F23F65E-E9B7-4EAC-9FA2-046EFBE53AA7.jpeg

Reactions: chopsaw
WaterRat, you be the da Man! Ma Dutch came across a pork tenderloin in the freezer a couple of days ago and a guy that works for me if I had a recipe for a glaze that he could use on grilled porkchops. Now I know what's for supper on Sunday!

Thank you, happy to help!

Looks and sounds great! Gonna have to put it on the to do list! And I don't remember alot from 30 years ago but I do know boones farm after alot of beers is not good!

Ryan

Thanks! Come to think of it, most things after a lot of beers aint good...

Well this is now on the official I gotta do list.

What‘s wrong with Boones Farm? Why this bottle, 1973 vintage, sitting on the windowsill in my shop, has withstood the test of time. There is no discoloration, and no sedement. What the heck did they make this stuff out of?

View attachment 492823

Enjoy! What's it made out of... ? We probably don't want to know... It is quite a nice label though isn't it? :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky