Grilled Pork Belly and Eggplant Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
This was about a 4 pound slab, no skin. Dried the belly and let it sit for some time on the counter to tack up a bit. Hit it pretty good with garlic salt and black pepper and again left it to sit while I fired up the Primo.

Pecan and cherry wood with Fogo. The first 2 hours I kept the temp below 200°f and slowly ramped up after that to a high of 350°f.

After the seasoning was set and I started seeing some great color I started basting with a mixture of maple syrup and a little soy sauce. Mopped it 3 times waiting 15 minutes between each. Pulled at ~180°f.

Also prepared a grilled eggplant salad. Onion, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, Thai basil, vinegar etc.

20230827_190057.jpg

20230827_170658.jpg

20230827_162155.jpg

20230827_140332.jpg

Kids ate theirs on Hawaii King rolls
20230827_191704.jpg

20230827_194300.jpg

20230827_183426.jpg

20230827_183656.jpg

A tasty Sunday dinner. Should have gone heavier on the garlic salt but I'm being petty at that point.

Ok, you got me :emoji_laughing: That looks outstanding!! Never really used pork belly for anything but bacon but I can see a lot of merit in this meal. Very nice job.

Robert

Reactions: philpom
Ok, you got me :emoji_laughing: That looks outstanding!! Never really used pork belly for anything but bacon but I can see a lot of merit in this meal. Very nice job.

Robert
Robert - I think oven roasted pork belly is every bit as good as prime rib. I keep it simple, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder on the bottom (and a EQ 1.85% salt brine for 2 days if possible, if I do, I omit salting any more) and just salt and pepper on the fat cap. Take it to almost pot roast tender. OMG. I do like to roast it on a rack. I also smoke them much like OP without curing. I have gotten to where any bellys I can buy that don't cost a kidney I'll either smoke or roast. Butt makes the bacon lol.

OP - I'm hit or miss on eggplant. Yours looks like a hit! I'd take a whole bowl of that!

A lot or cheap eggplant around me right now. Any more granular details on that salad?
Dressing: 1/4 cup

1 ts sugar and crushed red pepper
1 minced garlic clove
1-2 TB fish sauce
Juice from 1 lime
salt to taste depending on how salty your fish sauce is

Heat in a pan to dissolve the sugar and let cool

The Salad:

Sauté 5 minced garlic cloves in 1 cup of Veggie oil until golden, remove the garlic and drain. Slice the egg plan (1.5 pounds) in to long strips and score. Dip in the cooled oil and grill until charred and tender. Let cool and cut to bite size pieces. Place in a bowl and add 2 thinly sliced shallots, 10 mint leaves torn and bruised and 10 Thai basil leaves torn and bruised. Mix well with the dressing, garnish with the golden garlic and serve.

Dressing: 1/4 cup

1 ts sugar and crushed red pepper
1 minced garlic clove
1-2 TB fish sauce
Juice from 1 lime
salt to taste depending on how salty your fish sauce is

Heat in a pan to dissolve the sugar and let cool

The Salad:

Sauté 5 minced garlic cloves in 1 cup of Veggie oil until golden, remove the garlic and drain. Slice the egg plan (1.5 pounds) in to long strips and score. Dip in the cooled oil and grill until charred and tender. Let cool and cut to bite size pieces. Place in a bowl and add 2 thinly sliced shallots, 10 mint leaves torn and bruised and 10 Thai basil leaves torn and bruised. Mix well with the dressing, garnish with the golden garlic and serve.
Thanks may give it a go

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky