greyish layer on meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sosolen

Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I am a happy owner of a custom built offset, but I have some minor issues/questions. I'm a long time reader of this forum, but I only recently joined and started posting.

I have posted another question on 'smoker builds', but wanted to ask a second one here.

When I am smoking anything, there is always a really noticeable greyish layer on the meat. I made sure that I have a clean fire, so no dirty white smoke at all during the whole cook. But still there is this layer on my meats. Whenever I touch it, my hands turn black... I don't taste anything weird though. On my bisquit test it's also really noticeable.. (in Belgium we don't have the round bisquits, but there is croissants in that same 'twist-to-open' package)

I have scrubbed the interior as much as I could to remove any leftover residue, but I still seem to get the same issue. I don't have this in my weber kettle (which I also used for a long time)

Any ideas? Or is this 'normal' when smoking with wood, compared to when I was using charcoal + wood chunks in my Weber?

You can see my smoker here;

Attachments

• 2022-09-15 10_46_33-Synology Photos.png
    2022-09-15 10_46_33-Synology Photos.png
    690.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220701_185543.jpg
    IMG_20220701_185543.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220702_151106.jpg
    IMG_20220702_151106.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Sounds like your fire might not be burning clean enough and also draft problem, when I used my offset I might get a little on the meat but nothing like your describing

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I am a happy owner of a custom built offset, but I have some minor issues/questions. I'm a long time reader of this forum, but I only recently joined and started posting.

I have posted another question on 'smoker builds', but wanted to ask a second one here.

When I am smoking anything, there is always a really noticeable greyish layer on the meat. I made sure that I have a clean fire, so no dirty white smoke at all during the whole cook. But still there is this layer on my meats. Whenever I touch it, my hands turn black... I don't taste anything weird though. On my bisquit test it's also really noticeable.. (in Belgium we don't have the round bisquits, but there is croissants in that same 'twist-to-open' package)

I have scrubbed the interior as much as I could to remove any leftover residue, but I still seem to get the same issue. I don't have this in my weber kettle (which I also used for a long time)

Any ideas? Or is this 'normal' when smoking with wood, compared to when I was using charcoal + wood chunks in my Weber?

You can see my smoker here;
I believe your smoker is simply not hot enough.

I took a quick look at the photos of it on the other thread. The diameter of the pit is relatively small and the pit is long. You'd be much better off with a larger diameter stack and stoke the fire.

My son has a stainless steel pit that is off a very similar design (long, small diameter shell, small firebox) and we had to put a large diameter stack on it to get it to cook well.

Incorporating a plenum into the exhaust stack is also very helpful. Like this:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/plenum-size-placement.162234/

I believe your smoker is simply not hot enough.

I took a quick look at the photos of it on the other thread. The diameter of the pit is relatively small and the pit is long. You'd be much better off with a larger diameter stack and stoke the fire.

My son has a stainless steel pit that is off a very similar design (long, small diameter shell, small firebox) and we had to put a large diameter stack on it to get it to cook well.

Reactions: indaswamp
When I am smoking anything, there is always a really noticeable greyish layer on the meat. I made sure that I have a clean fire, so no dirty white smoke at all during the whole cook. But still there is this layer on my meats. Whenever I touch it, my hands turn black... I don't taste anything weird though.
This sounds like dirty smoke is allowing a residue to build up on your meat, and I also think that your pit temp (at the grate level) could be lower than you think. This is especially noticeable on chicken due to it's light color and the fact it goes on the pit at a colder temperature than other meats might. An old school test is to take a glass or ceramic cup and fill it with icy water (like slushy icy water) and hold it in the stream of exhaust smoke from your stack. If you see residue, you have confirmed your problem.

Normally, when a creosote-like layer of residue is present, the meat will take on a bitter flavor. So maybe that is related to the beech wood you are using? Have you ever built a charcoal only fire and see if that makes any difference?

I have a question for you
On a few occasions, with meat from more than one supermarket I have observed prepacked refrigerated diced beef turning greeny/grey a day or so after purchase, yet well within its use-by date (eg 5 days within). After less than 24 hours with only minor discoloration, I've used the meat with no ill effects, but a while ago when the meat was badly discolored a couple of days after purchase we took it back to the store for a replacement.
I've no reason to suspect the domestic fridge was insufficiently cold.
Once the meat is cut or ground for packaging oxidation begins. That's what causes the meat to turn from bright red to brown/grey and ultimately to spoilage. It's a normal process and of no concern so long as your meat doesn't have any "off" smells. To prevent this you can repackage and vac seal and freeze after purchase. Then it's always "fresh" when you want it. We never keep raw meat in our fridge for future use anymore

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky