Greetings from Wisconsin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TinCupTom

Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Hi everyone - was lurking in the shadows reading all the great posts on gas smokers. Thanks to all for the thoughts and recommendations on your various experiences.

Long time WSM owner, looking for additional capacity for large family functions - demand for smoked meat is off the chart in my zip code during the summer months!

Proud owner of a new MPS 250S (XL Propane) - assembled and seasoned over the weekend. Door gasket kits orders and looking forward to a 4 day weekend processing 35# of structured venison bacon.

A number of questions for the forum this morning, as i attempt to match the smoky goodness of the WSM:

1. Regarding the AMNPT for this very large smoker, is one 12” tube enough in this very large smoke chamber? I dont find a lot of reviews on this XL Model (previously the SpoprstmanElite XL),would 2 be better?

2. For those that have this unit, and use AMNPT, do you also use the pitiful chip tray? If so, how do you use it to avoid opening the door every 30 minutes?

3. What is the consensus on microwaving your pellets? It would seem that a proper ignition (10min) of the pellets prior to use would more than adequately address the situation - with all the combustion moisture, and the evaporation from teh water pan and meat load it would seem the moisture available in the box would be significantly higher than whatever small amount would be driven our in the microwave?

4. Does anyone use the chip tray to burn charcoal, for flavor, in addition to the AMNPT?

5. Having used the WSM for 25 years, the tight seal and ability to controls airflow are excellent, having a bit of a struggle trying to wrap my head around all the open venting in the MPS 250 - understand what is needed for propane combustion however that occurs at the bottom of the unit. Wondering if the anyone on the forum modifies the vents to eliminate the airflow and enhance flavor. I have to assume some of the venting is a safety function to ensure the cabinet is ventilated to prevent a build up of unburned gas, just seems like too much venting for effective flavor pickup.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, hope i dont wear out my welcome here.
TK

Welcome to the site, glad you decided to join. Sorry I can't help you with your questions as I'm a WSM user. Someone will chime in at some point with answers to your questions.

Chris

Welcome glad to have you on board hang in there and someone will be along to give some advise. Contact Todd a PM he's on here and the maker of the pellet tube.

Warren

Welcome Aboard from WI as well! I'm down in the Fox Valley! <Neenah to be exact> and..sadly can't really answer any question..BUT...Lumberjack Pellets makes a 'Char Hickory' pellet blend which is charcoal and hickory. To boot they're a Wisconsin company!

I just run a MES! But I'd like to extend an offer to do a meet up if you want. We got the cold weather and I'd love to get some WI members together to do a cold smoke of cheese and just chat and get to know each other!

Welcome Aboard from WI as well! I'm down in the Fox Valley! <Neenah to be exact> and..sadly can't really answer any question..BUT...Lumberjack Pellets makes a 'Char Hickory' pellet blend which is charcoal and hickory. To boot they're a Wisconsin company!

I just run a MES! But I'd like to extend an offer to do a meet up if you want. We got the cold weather and I'd love to get some WI members together to do a cold smoke of cheese and just chat and get to know each other!

Thanks Tom K, odd coincidence, I am also “Tom K” from Green Bay. Thanks for the offer to meetup and cook, I do all of my smoking at our cottage near Crivitz, given the size of the new unit I consider it now a permanent fixture, there. Let me know if you organize something on the cold-smoke side - have never done that - would live to give it a try.

Thanks Tom K, odd coincidence, I am also “Tom K” from Green Bay. Thanks for the offer to meetup and cook, I do all of my smoking at our cottage near Crivitz, given the size of the new unit I consider it now a permanent fixture, there. Let me know if you organize something on the cold-smoke side - have never done that - would live to give it a try.
I'm just looking for people interested and figuring out where to do to it! Cold smoking is easy and we got no lack of cheese places right? LOL! I actually did some pricing out at Hennings on their bulk cheese, and one of their unusual/exotic ones is Mango Fire and it was 5 USD a pound when you get into 5 pound blocks. Seemed reasonable. ..also lucky man, heard Crivitz is nice for getting away. :) Fun to meet a new Wisconsinite, especially with my own name!

Welcome to SMF!
I can't help with your questions, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can.
If they don't then just post a new thread in the Propane smoker section & that should get you the answers you are seeking.
Al

9228869E-F03A-4EA1-A326-DCCD8FAAFB3C.jpeg
C2B2C50E-CE5B-4188-B33A-DBA9C2731F5D.jpeg
Hi everyone - was lurking in the shadows reading all the great posts on gas smokers. Thanks to all for the thoughts and recommendations on your various experiences.

Long time WSM owner, looking for additional capacity for large family functions - demand for smoked meat is off the chart in my zip code during the summer months!

Proud owner of a new MPS 250S (XL Propane) - assembled and seasoned over the weekend. Door gasket kits orders and looking forward to a 4 day weekend processing 35# of structured venison bacon.

A number of questions for the forum this morning, as i attempt to match the smoky goodness of the WSM:

1. Regarding the AMNPT for this very large smoker, is one 12” tube enough in this very large smoke chamber? I dont find a lot of reviews on this XL Model (previously the SpoprstmanElite XL),would 2 be better?

2. For those that have this unit, and use AMNPT, do you also use the pitiful chip tray? If so, how do you use it to avoid opening the door every 30 minutes?

3. What is the consensus on microwaving your pellets? It would seem that a proper ignition (10min) of the pellets prior to use would more than adequately address the situation - with all the combustion moisture, and the evaporation from teh water pan and meat load it would seem the moisture available in the box would be significantly higher than whatever small amount would be driven our in the microwave?

4. Does anyone use the chip tray to burn charcoal, for flavor, in addition to the AMNPT?

5. Having used the WSM for 25 years, the tight seal and ability to controls airflow are excellent, having a bit of a struggle trying to wrap my head around all the open venting in the MPS 250 - understand what is needed for propane combustion however that occurs at the bottom of the unit. Wondering if the anyone on the forum modifies the vents to eliminate the airflow and enhance flavor. I have to assume some of the venting is a safety function to ensure the cabinet is ventilated to prevent a build up of unburned gas, just seems like too much venting for effective flavor pickup.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, hope i dont wear out my welcome here.
TK

Update from Wisconsin...

Thanks for the warm welomce, first experience with the new MPS 250S was much better than expected (25lb batch of venison bacon).

1. AMNPT: Bit the bullet and bought 2ea 12” AMNPTs and a small bag of store brand hickory pellets. Following Todd’s instructions exactly, experienced almost 5 hours of burn at 170 F. The pellet were my only source of smoke for the 8 hour cook and the meat was done to perfection - no bitter taste at all. Convinced the large volume and venting of this gas smoker are well suited for 2 tubes.

2. Chip Tray: Why do they event bother, with a smoker this size, how can Masterbuilt justify the grossly under-engineered design of the chip tray they include with this smoker - all I can say is the folks at AMAZEN have made me a believer. By smoking friends will all be seeing one of these at Christmas this year!

3,4,5: Answered my own questions above.

Enjoy the pics - please share your feedback and I will look forward to future posts in the forum!

TK

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky