Green Fish and Ham, Sam I am

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
May I present one of the better tasting denizens of the sea,

The Lingcod!!! Green meat version!

The meat stays green until its cooked. Makes it easy to tell when its done! The little fillet was actually the bait. Lingcod like to latch on to smaller fish and hang on  for the ride. We call these Hangers or Hanger ling! The small fish was a kelp greenling, aka sea trout. Lingcod candy. Sea trout don't have dorsal spines like other rockfish so the ling love to bite into them.

I forgot to snap a finished photo. The green meat turns whiter than white when its done!

Interesting! I've never seen green fish before! What is that big red tail in the tote?

Nice pics Case. Lake Superior Whitefish is about as exotic as it gets for us around here. I've heard you talk about lingcod before..what does it taste like compared to other fish?

Nice pics Case. Lake Superior Whitefish is about as exotic as it gets for us around here. I've heard you talk about lingcod before..what does it taste like compared to other fish?
All of the rockfish are really mild tasting. Take on the flavors that you put on them.

Oh, are you bringing back memories. We used to catch Rock and Ling cod when I lived on Vancouver Island. They make the best fish and chips in the world. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Disco

Oh, are you bringing back memories. We used to catch Rock and Ling cod when I lived on Vancouver Island. They make the best fish and chips in the world. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Disco

They sure do make great fish and chips! Dredge in seasoned flour, then water and into seasoned corn meal, dep fry! Oh yeah!

Last edited:

Here's a Yellow Eye Rockfish. In Oregon we aren't allowed to keep these anymore so back into the ocean it went. Similar to a diver coming up to fast the rockfish have to decompress in order to survive. So they get attached to a special rig and sent back down slowly. The clamp is pressure sensitive auto releases.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky