Green Chile Pistachio Crusted Loin Chops (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
My buddy Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) recently showcased some pork chops he did. They appeared to have a light coating or breading of some sort and they looked absolutely amazing. When I saw them I knew I had to do something along those lines. Y'all know that I tend to get a little weird at times with some of my ideas, but I still enjoy doing stuff a bit different and this was one of those times. I just wanted something unique and outside the box. Then the idea hit me....kinda like when mamma dropped me on my head when I was a kid. Let's grind up some pistachios and use them to crust the chops. Hmmm...different but potentially viable. Let's give it a shot and see what happens.

Here are the pistachios I started with
001.jpg

Shelled and in a bowl. Seemed like I had to shell about twice as many as I thought I'd need because for some reason they kept disappearing during the process :emoji_wink:
003.jpg

Got the egg wash ready and the pistachios run through the food processor
004.jpg

Chops "breaded" with the pistachios
005.jpg

Onto the grill over the sear burner
006.jpg

And dinner. Simple meal of the chops, mac & cheese, and green beans
007.jpg

This little experiment was a huge success. Tracy humors me where pork is concerned and will eat it but it's certainly not her favorite protein. This however was a game changer. The chops were really moist and tender, the flavor of the pistachios melded incredibly well with the pork, and there was just a slight spice tingle from the green chilies with a background hint of garlic. The way the coating crusted up was outstanding. Just a terrific flavor and a nice crunch to the texture. Overall I'd say this experiment worked out very well and now I have permission to cook pork more often...as long as I do it this way. Well, time to go reassess the damage in the yard as it continues to get worse. Thanks for dropping by and we will see what sort of oddities continue to show up on our dinner table.

Robert

My crusty pickled heart belongs to green chile.

Looks delicious. And you even used shells!! I like the tiny ones but am not too picky. Can't tell the size of your plate!! Lol

Man that looks good. Fell in love with green chile while I was working in New Mexico years ago.
Jim

Now that looks plain wonderful Robert, and something I think I'll try out for a change of pace, Like! I wonder if running a bunch of those nuts thru my coffee grinder would make my morning Kona taste like garlic chili? Eh, not for long. RAY

Mind sharing the pecan crusted fish recipe?
But of course I don't mind.

Works best with any mild white fish and you can use most any nut.
Pecans are just a Southern favorite, but I also like Macadamia, Walnut and Hazelnut too.
I understand that Hazelnuts are really good on pork too.

Fish fillets
Equal parts finely minced nuts and Panko bread crumbs
Mayo lightly seasoned with favorite seasoning, I like Lawry's seasoned salt or Tony C's.
Melted butter
Brush fish with seasoned mayo, coat with nut/crumb mix, fry in butter till firm and flakey.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Robert that is creative and I’m sure delicious. Pistachios are also used in a lot of Persian cooking.

Looks delicious Robert! Always interesting to see what new ideas you come up with!

Ryan

They sure look good...Ok, I read the post 3 times and I'm not seeing where the Garlic and Chiles got added...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky