Gotta love Walmart this time of year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jtexans4

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
After a month of stalking Walmarts inventory, I was able to score a brand new Pit Boss XL yesterday on clearance for $247! Put it together today and did the burn off. Can't wait to put some food in it! My first pellet grill. Any tips or tricks with this are appreciated!

pitbossxl.jpg

Congrats, I never find any markdowns here , get you a good cover for it, I have a carport to keep mine in but a cover works very well also

Congrats, I never find any markdowns here , get you a good cover for it, I have a carport to keep mine in but a cover works very well also

I bought the Pit Boss brand cover for it. Is that the best one for it or are there better ones? I'm in Ohio (don't let the username or avatar fool you) so it will see a lot of snow.

Great score. If not using it for awhile take the pellets out of it with humidity they will swell and stop up the auger. Other than that they are great

Reactions: Jtexans4
Clean out the firepot every cook, get a digital grate temp monitor because the displayed temp is not accurate. The most dense and consistent smoke production is at temps under 200F, by 300F there's very little smoke. I usually start 150-180F and raise the temp after a couple of hours.

Clean out the firepot every cook, get a digital grate temp monitor because the displayed temp is not accurate. The most dense and consistent smoke production is at temps under 200F, by 300F there's very little smoke. I usually start 150-180F and raise the temp after a couple of hours.

Thanks! Definitely planned on cleaning the firepot everytime. Do you use foil or anything to cover the diffuser plate to make cleanup any easier there?

SiL has a Cabelas branded Pit Boss.
If you have the half pipe diffuser unit with the sear feature, it is not practical to cover with foil that we can determine.

I have a Masterbuilt pooper. Owner's manual recommended foiling the flat plate diffuser.

SiL got his pooper last fall. I got my pooper in February. Both of us store our units (uncovered) in unheated garages and leave pellets in the hopper. No problems.
I have heard from some people they have swelled pellets in covered units left outside

Get a smoke supplement. A-Maze-N has trays and tubes.
I use a copycat tube my wife bought at Target. A friend has 2 poopers (one at home, one at lake) and he uses 2 smoke tubes at a time.

I have only dropped the pellets out of mine to change flavor, the fog rolls into my carport as its only covered on 1 side and 1 end, most of our storms roll in from the south and west so that's the ends that are covered. I wood think a cover would keep all moisture off , I wouldn't park it long term on bare ground as moisture will always leach from the ground

Check your local Walmart inventory (including clearance) using Brickseek

This. I stalked Brickseek for months until I found this price drop haha. Drove 45 min or so to pick it up.

I have the sear feature and the curved drip pan so I just use a heavy wire brush to scrape it off and let the grease protect it from rust. The side over the firepot rusts because of the heat regardless of drippings. If you don't intend to do any direct high heat grilling with the sear function, I'd recommend a heat deflector for the firepot like most pellet grills used to come with. I find that it helps the pellets burn as well as reduces the hotspot over the firepot. I jerry rigged one with a small sheet of expanded metal grate bent into shape and a 1/4" rectangle of aluminum to sit on top. Generates less ash and less temperature swing.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I got one last week but for slightly more at $300. Wasn’t looking to go to pellets but it’s a heck of a deal. Mine works great and holds temp and no wild swings. The sliding sear plate will shoot fire like a weed burner. I’m using Bear Mountain pellets from Rural King. Nice clean smoke and food tastes great. Oh and the 5 year warranty.

Great score, You have a nice one there, I have been using pit boss for a few yrs now and love em. I wouldn't foil the difusser plate. Also get a good meat thermometer as factory one is not very accurate. I clean mine out a couple three times a yr. Vacuum the fire box and body under difusser plate, pull the plate and scrape it clean that's it. They ( 1 for home 1 for work) have been very well used yr round with no issues. The factory covers fit and work the best. Enjoy and post lots of pics.

Reactions: Steff3
Nice find! I spotted your thread as I was wondering about covers myself, got a 820 XL for Christmas.

The PB brand cover gets poor reviews, but it would seem that its more important to cover and keep a pellet grill dry than any other grill type.

I’d rather pay more for a better cover, than to drop $60 on one that they say won’t last a year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky