got a #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
Got a #2, smoked a butt two weeks ago. Found it to not make a lot of smoke, but constant temp is so dang easy. Added chunks after about 3 hours, but still didn't get a hard bark. But the non-worry temp control sill allow me to set up and smoke something over night, after I get more acquainted with the unit. I had a bunch of hickory split sticks, so I cut some into small chunks about the size that came with the smoker. Any reason I shouldn't use these chunks in the Smokin It tray? They have splintered edges, etc due to being split pieces, but I've got them in small pieces. I plan to smoke a 6 lb whole boneless strip roast this weekend. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Lol. No. The guys here with Smokin-it units are limited. We want to give you accurate information so some will read the post but move on, rather than not help you.
You are certainly welcome here and I apologize that no one answered your question. Below is a link to the Smokin-it Group. Look for an answer or start a conversation with someone. Old Sarge is very knowledgeable and a GoTo Guy on that brand of smoker...JJ

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/smokin-it-owners.3152/

Thank you. I thought this was the group forum?

Oppps. You are right. I was in Electric Smokers and thought I was still there, when I directed you here. Hit up Old Sarge and try a general search of Smokin it smokers. You should get more results...JJ

Hi Newsmokerky - I know this is a bit late but maybe still usefull. I don't use hickory chunks but I do use cherry chunks along with hickory chips and some pellets in a foil pouch with some air holes. The pouch prevents the wood from igniting. With this approach I get good smoke and flavor using 2.5 - 3 ozs of wood. I admit it isn't as heavy or last as long as a half a tube of pellets in a pellet tube but it certainly is adequate for nice smoke flavor. Tom

I haven't gotten a really hard bark with my Smokin-it #3, but I do get some and a really tasty bark. I think it is because they retain so much moisture. The Smokin-it doesn't have the airflow exchange that a stick burner does. That's why you don't need so much wood, the smoke hangs around inside a long time.

I've been pleased with the results on my 4 smokes. As Lonziomaker said, the bark isn't as hard as I got with the gasser, but the convenience and ease far offsets that.

Congrats on the new smoker. Sorry about not visiting this section more often. The SI Smokers do retain a fair amount of moisture and bark is not as hard as what one gets from a stick burner. As for using your own splits, that is fine. You can even use dried pruning from fruit trees. Not sure why you are not getting much smoke. Or are looking for smoke production for an entire 5 or 6 hour run, or longer?

Congrats on the new smoker. Sorry about not visiting this section more often. The SI Smokers do retain a fair amount of moisture and bark is not as hard as what one gets from a stick burner. As for using your own splits, that is fine. You can even use dried pruning from fruit trees. Not sure why you are not getting much smoke. Or are looking for smoke production for an entire 5 or 6 hour run, or longer?
Looking for the smoke to last longer. 3 hours is all it lasts. I just open and add more chunks when it dies.

My smoke will last 2.5 to 3 hours easily. Around the 2 hour mark it thins out somewhat and by 3 hours it is barely visible, just very thin wisps. Hard to see unless the lighting is just right. Try placing the wood in another area of the wood box. Also, if you look at the cell structure of the wood, you will notice some wood is denser that others even from the same species. Denser wood smokes/burns slower than that with wide open cells.

My smoke will last 2.5 to 3 hours easily. Around the 2 hour mark it thins out somewhat and by 3 hours it is barely visible, just very thin wisps. Hard to see unless the lighting is just right. Try placing the wood in another area of the wood box. Also, if you look at the cell structure of the wood, you will notice some wood is denser that others even from the same species. Denser wood smokes/burns slower than that with wide open cells.
I wrap mine in 4 layers of heavy foil. Poke 5-6 holes in it. Lasts maybe three hours. I may put several layers of foil on the tray itself. See if that helps. Not a big deal. Just have to add wood after 3 hours or so on a long smoke.

Sounds like a plan. Conventional wisdom here and at SI and a site called Amazing Ribs is that meat stops taking on smoke when it reaches a temp of 140 degrees. When I do a butt or a full packer brisket, I use about 6 ounces of wood, one chunk when possible. That is it. Lock it down and let it go without ever adding more wood. Those smokes take 12 to 16 hours. Plenty of smokiness in/on the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky