Goose Stock has been Refilled!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Just got back into town late last night. Had another great trip with my friend in Kansas. Lots of fun, great hunts, good food, and world class laughs. Was fun. I look forward to this trip every year.
IMG_20221212_023911_04.jpg

First morning we had the perfect wind and conditions to hunt the goose pond and it did not disappoint. 42 Canada geese and 8 bonus redhead ducks. Done by 9:30a.am.

Picked up just in time for Go Chicken Co to open. Stopped by there on the way back to my buddy's house (It has become a tradition). Best damn fried chicken gizzards I have ever had. I crushed a large full order.
IMG_20221208_102032.jpg

All in we harvested 56 geese and 36 ducks in 3 days of hunting. I now have a lot of goose meat to work with making stuff. First up will be a big run of goose breast pastrami and goose Pastrami and Swiss cheese snack sticks.

Wow! Glad to see the skies are safe from them gooses! LOL. Nice haul. And I love some chicken livers/gizzards. Lil hot sauce and I can eat my body weight in them.
Jim

Whoa baby!! Stop the presses. Keith has racked up some monumental goodies there. Can't wait to see all the amazing stuff you do with the goose and duck meat.

Robert

Nice haul Keith, looks like you all had a great time… Looking forward to what ya make with the meat! 👊🏼🍻

Very nice, congrats on a good trip!!

Wow! Glad to see the skies are safe from them gooses! LOL. Nice haul. And I love some chicken livers/gizzards. Lil hot sauce and I can eat my body weight in them.
Jim

Whoa baby!! Stop the presses. Keith has racked up some monumental goodies there. Can't wait to see all the amazing stuff you do with the goose and duck meat.

Robert

Wow, that's really lining them and knocking 'em down, nice work Keith! RAY

Nice haul Keith, looks like you all had a great time… Looking forward to what ya make with the meat! 👊🏼🍻
Thanks guys! I also saved a bunch of legs and thighs to make some goose tasso too!

Just got back into town late last night. Had another great trip with my friend in Kansas. Lots of fun, great hunts, good food, and world class laughs. Was fun. I look forward to this trip every year.
View attachment 651197
First morning we had the perfect wind and conditions to hunt the goose pond and it did not disappoint. 42 Canada geese and 8 bonus redhead ducks. Done by 9:30a.am.

Picked up just in time for Go Chicken Co to open. Stopped by there on the way back to my buddy's house (It has become a tradition). Best damn fried chicken gizzards I have ever had. I crushed a large full order.
View attachment 651198
All in we harvested 56 geese and 36 ducks in 3 days of hunting. I now have a lot of goose meat to work with making stuff. First up will be a big run of goose breast pastrami and goose Pastrami and Swiss cheese snack sticks.
Man that's awesome!
Congrats on the success hunt and I'm looking forward to all the food you make with those birds :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Oh wow! that is awesome and it brings back so much amazing memories for me of hunting with my dad and uncles. We had some incredible goose hunts. Congrats on a successful harvest!

Edit, we’d hunt near Sumner Missouri and there was a place that would pluck the geese for almost nothing and you could also buy homage goose down blankets and pillows for almost nothing. My whole family still uses them…occasionally testified!

1CAFCFA0-C74D-4880-B5E0-D922CB9D2F76.jpeg
49C0290F-BF86-4387-8AC2-4765089A71C2.jpeg

Last edited:
All in we harvested 56 geese and 36 ducks in 3 days of hunting. I now have a lot of goose meat to work with making stuff.
What a trip, Keith!! That's the way to knock em down now you have some work to do and I'll be waiting to see what you come up with.
Best damn fried chicken gizzards I have ever had.
I love gizzards. There's a little mom & pop convenient store near me that has some really good ones, but they only have them on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...

Where do some of you all get the energy!
Looks like a great time was had and prizes for everyone.
Dirty jobs did an episode on one of the bird feather places in the midwest.
What a trip and a hell of a service.
Nice work and I mean work Inda.

Some of the greatest memories I have are of my hunts with my best friend of 60 years. My all time favorite was goose hunting with him and my lab Molly. Your picture brings back fond memories but makes me a bit sad.
My hunting and fishing days have sadly come to an end. My best friend and companion on all those adventures suffers with rheumatoid arthritis, and it's just not the same without him. I have had to make due with Sam's Club steelhead and salmon but sadly they don't sell goose Pastrami.

IMG_0170.JPG

Got this guy shortly before Rick became unable to walk into the field.

Great Hunt, Congratulations,

John

Reactions: indaswamp
Thats a nice score! That is the best way to shop for protein for the table!

Man that's awesome!
Congrats on the success hunt and I'm looking forward to all the food you make with those birds :)

Oh wow! that is awesome and it brings back so much amazing memories for me of hunting with my dad and uncles. We had some incredible goose hunts. Congrats on a successful harvest!

Edit, we’d hunt near Sumner Missouri and there was a place that would pluck the geese for almost nothing and you could also buy homage goose down blankets and pillows for almost nothing. My whole family still uses them…occasionally testified!

View attachment 651241View attachment 651242

Nice looking haul Keith! You'll be busy for awhile!

Good batch of birds and good times .
Goose pastrami, sounds good also

David

What a trip, Keith!! That's the way to knock em down now you have some work to do and I'll be waiting to see what you come up with.

I love gizzards. There's a little mom & pop convenient store near me that has some really good ones, but they only have them on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...

Kieth, you live life to the fullest! I so envy you.Nice haul and I would put down that box of gizzards also.

Looks like a great time was had and prizes for everyone.
Dirty jobs did an episode on one of the bird feather places in the midwest.
What a trip and a hell of a service.
Nice work and I mean work Inda.

Some of the greatest memories I have are of my hunts with my best friend of 60 years. My all time favorite was goose hunting with him and my lab Molly. Your picture brings back fond memories but makes me a bit sad.
My hunting and fishing days have sadly come to an end. My best friend and companion on all those adventures suffers with rheumatoid arthritis, and it's just not the same without him. I have had to make due with Sam's Club steelhead and salmon but sadly they don't sell goose Pastrami.

View attachment 651263

Got this guy shortly before Rick became unable to walk into the field.

Great Hunt, Congratulations,

John

Thats a nice score! That is the best way to shop for protein for the table!
Thanks Guys!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
It is a labor of love for me...been hunting since I was big enough to follow along in my dads foot prints in the snow rabbit hunting. I live in the outdoors....hunting in the fall, winter; turkey season in the spring, and fishing during the summer.

It is a labor of love for me...been hunting since I was big enough to follow along in my dads foot prints in the snow rabbit hunting. I live in the outdoors....hunting in the fall, winter; turkey season in the spring, and fishing during the summer.
It show's!
I grew up in the mountains and camped, hiked and fished. After high school moved to the big cities and got sissiefied.
Now I am an old (older) man and still working 40 a week.
Just making sausage from store bought meat on the weekends is exciting for me!!

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky