• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Goose Sausage/Sticks- Fat?

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I am considering turning some goose breasts into sausage or snack sticks.

What do you recommend for a fat mix in? Pork or beef?

Would pork butt or belly work, or is just fat best?

Thanks

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I would use some ground pork butt, its bout perfect. Belly would work but its kinda pricy.
I made 250 pounds of canadian honker summer sausage for my sons goose hunter team

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
The guys have you set for goose sticks but goose screams pastrami to me.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 12, 2017
I would use some ground pork butt, its bout perfect. Belly would work but its kinda pricy.
I made 250 pounds of canadian honker summer sausage for my sons goose hunter team
Thank you for the advice of using pork butt. What ratio should I use of goose to pork butt?

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Thank you for the advice of using pork butt. What ratio should I use of goose to pork butt?
I like either 40/60 or 50/50 goose to pork. When trimming the pork butt, you want to save most of the fat and leave some of the meat to the side since the goose is 100% lean with no fat, you need to add more fat to the mix.

The pork for the grind should be roughly 50/50 meat to fat... that will give you around a 20-25% fat ratio.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 12, 2017
I like either 40/60 or 50/50 goose to pork. When trimming the pork butt, you want to save most of the fat and leave some of the meat to the side since the goose is 100% lean with no fat, you need to add more fat to the mix.

The pork for the grind should be roughly 50/50 meat to fat... that will give you around a 20-25% fat ratio.
Appreciate your help. I may be a slow on the uptake...if the pork should be 50/50 ratio, how are you just using pork butt to get to 50/50? Or are you saying don’t grind the butt in its entirety, and hold back some meat to get to a 50/50 for the pork?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.