Goose Sausage/Sticks- Fat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I am considering turning some goose breasts into sausage or snack sticks.

What do you recommend for a fat mix in? Pork or beef?

Would pork butt or belly work, or is just fat best?

Thanks

I would use some ground pork butt, its bout perfect. Belly would work but its kinda pricy.
I made 250 pounds of canadian honker summer sausage for my sons goose hunter team

I would use some ground pork butt, its bout perfect. Belly would work but its kinda pricy.
I made 250 pounds of canadian honker summer sausage for my sons goose hunter team

Thank you for the advice of using pork butt. What ratio should I use of goose to pork butt?

Thank you for the advice of using pork butt. What ratio should I use of goose to pork butt?
I like either 40/60 or 50/50 goose to pork. When trimming the pork butt, you want to save most of the fat and leave some of the meat to the side since the goose is 100% lean with no fat, you need to add more fat to the mix.

The pork for the grind should be roughly 50/50 meat to fat... that will give you around a 20-25% fat ratio.

I like either 40/60 or 50/50 goose to pork. When trimming the pork butt, you want to save most of the fat and leave some of the meat to the side since the goose is 100% lean with no fat, you need to add more fat to the mix.

The pork for the grind should be roughly 50/50 meat to fat... that will give you around a 20-25% fat ratio.

Appreciate your help. I may be a slow on the uptake...if the pork should be 50/50 ratio, how are you just using pork butt to get to 50/50? Or are you saying don’t grind the butt in its entirety, and hold back some meat to get to a 50/50 for the pork?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky