good pointers here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeydobee

Original poster
May 27, 2007
IOWA
hello again, just wanted to thank all those that helped out on my questions about starting and maintaining my fire. I have smoked up a couple of racks of ribs, some salmon and catfish, a couple of chickens or so and with the tips here had real good luck with my fire. Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that every time you do a smoke it is gonna rain all day? lol! Also - can anyone tell me. I am using a Brinkman offset smoker.. can this be used to cold smoke? Or do I need another type of smoker to do this? Thanks!

Ken

I don't have an offset, but........... seems like it could. Use 3-4 lit charcoal briquettes and pile wood chips on top of them. This will make smoke without much heat. I do that in my ECB when the ambient temp is warm to smoke cheese.
Guess it depends on what you are smoking. My $0.02 worth.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Sorry smokedobee, I don't have that smoker. But you have me interested in the catfish you smoked! Maybe you should post your results in the fish forum. (unless you already have)

I have the same smoker and have given this some thought, why not use a hot plate and run the cord out the vent on the door, put a pie plate on top and fill it with your choice of wood, you won't even have to worry about attending the fire

Ghost, that sounds like a good idea and well worth a try - I like the thought about not having to tend the fire for the length of time a cold smoke would take. I will have to investigate this.

Ken

Brian,
I will look into posting my results in the fish forum with some pics. I wasnt too happy with my results - not horrible but I will discuss it more in the fish forum.

Ken

Mike ,
Thanks your idea looks well worth A try as well as the suggestion Ghost had I think I will play around with both ideas! thanks again

Ken

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky