Good injection recipe for turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How much ginger ale and how much cranberry juice.  Also, what size turkey is this recipe for?  Finally, you are a turkey smoker, have you ever deep fried your turkey?
Smokin Vegas has not been around in awhile. Judging from the amount of Salt in the recipe, I would venture a guess that she is using a Liter of each. I would start with the 1/8C Kosher Salt or 1T Table Salt and go from there. This will be enough injection for 2 birds of any size. Cut it in half if you are only doing one turkey. Inject in multiple places and let the bird rest in the Refer overnight for the flavors to soak into the meat. There will be no issue Smoking but I fear that much Sugar leaching out in a Deep Fryer may burn and get bitter...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: magnus
I don't inject either... many reasons  , and I like a clean looking slice , when plated...no streaks or over seasoned spots of "injection" juice.....replace the "Plastic" thermo. thingy with the Probe , and no leaks either.
biggrin.gif

There are some good recipes online.  I liked the idea I saw the beer.  I keep it simple: butter and Tony Chachere's (Louisiana cajun all spice). You may want to cut the butter with something depending on your taste.  

I tried the recipe supplied by BBQ-Boy near the begining of this thread, on a turkey a couple weeks ago. It came out very good. You could tell there was some kind of flavor there, but no one ingredient overshadowed anything else, or the taste of the meat.

Last edited:

I don't inject either... many reasons  , and I like a clean looking slice , when plated...no streaks or over seasoned spots of "injection" juice.....replace the "Plastic" thermo. thingy with the Probe , and no leaks either.
biggrin.gif
Does anyone have this problem with streaks or over seasoned spots because this is the first i've heard of it?

If you use a commercial injection ,you may get brown streaks in your slices. That's the slices i want!

I just use one yesterday for my first time injecting, I always do brine and wanted to change. I used the following:

1/2 cup  olive oil

1/2 cup of beer

1 tbs Tiger sauce

1/2 shot of Chivas Regal 12 years

a pinch of kosher salt under the breast skin

to the fridge uncovered overnight

End up with a juicy tasty breast, not dry, not mushy; the skin was crispy. The turkey was a little over 12 lbs butterball Premium (I always brine the Fresh one). I did get the recipe from bbqpitboys.com.

Guys,

My 5 cents here... I injected a turkey breast with pineapple juice diluted 50-50 with water, and also a mixture of 25% pineapple juice, 25% kiwi juice and 50% water. Terrific results combined with smoke. I would not go for any fat containing injections - that means, no butter, no oil. I want purely the flavour, not the fat in that slice.

Thanks!

Ed

Does anybody have a good/great recipe for a turkey injection. I have a turkey that has nothing injected or brined into it.  I want to do something to enhance the flavor, and moisture during cooking.  I don't want to brine (for a few reasons).   I was thinking of injecting apple juice +butter+salt+ spices.  I haven't figured out what spices to use.

Any ideas???

We use butter & chicken broth.
Does anybody have a good/great recipe for a turkey injection. I have a turkey that has nothing injected or brined into it.  I want to do something to enhance the flavor, and moisture during cooking.  I don't want to brine (for a few reasons).   I was thinking of injecting apple juice +butter+salt+ spices.  I haven't figured out what spices to use.

Any ideas???
[/quote

So im looking to get around a 10-12 lb bird and use this brine

1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice
2 tsp Celery Seed

As well as inject halfway thru the smoke, considering the brine, would a simple broth/butter brine be good enough? And should i wrap in a chesscloth or not?

Tips on temp and crispy skin?

Thanks

If you Brine start 2 days out. You can go over night then give a good 24 hours in the refer uncovered for the skin to dry. For a one step crisp skin smoke at 325 if your smoker won't get that high, then smoke at 225 until the IT reaches 150 and then move to a 425 oven or indirect heated grill to crisp the skin and finish the cook to 165. Butter and a low salt broth is fine to inject and cheese cloth is up to you but with brine and injection, it is not going to make a difference...JJ

Does anyone have a basic butter and garlic recipe?
Melt a stick of butter in 1 can of chicken broth & add about 1/4 cup of garlic powder.

Heat it to a boil, then let it cool down to room temp & inject.

The only thing I don't like about doing it this way is you have to be real careful when you inject.

If you pump too much in one place when the turkey is cooked & cools down a little there will be coagulated butter & garlic in chunks.

I prefer to use Tony C's Creole butter, or any of his injectable marinades.

I just used the roasted garlic one in a turkey & it was very good.

Al

Reactions: jakester
I have not tried Tony C's injections but willing to try it. Problem might trying to find it locally. 

Melt a stick of butter in 1 can of chicken broth & add about 1/4 cup of garlic powder.

Heat it to a boil, then let it cool down to room temp & inject.

The only thing I don't like about doing it this way is you have to be real careful when you inject.

If you pump too much in one place when the turkey is cooked & cools down a little there will be coagulated butter & garlic in chunks.

I prefer to use Tony C's Creole butter, or any of his injectable marinades.

I just used the roasted garlic one in a turkey & it was very good.

Al
Just wanted to confirm, heat it to a boil? or melt butter over low heat?

Just wanted to confirm, heat it to a boil? or melt butter over low heat?
Put all the ingredients in a pan & bring to a boil.

The butter will melt before the broth starts to boil.

Walmart has tons of Tony C's marinades this time of year.

They come with a disposable injector.

They usually have a big display of them next to the frozen turkeys.

Al

+1 Try the Tony C's.  It's pretty good and easy on the wallet too.  While the injector is technically disposable, I've managed to keep it awhile. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky