1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Gonna get a little snow.

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by davidhef88, Nov 25, 2013.

1. davidhef88

davidhef88 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

After this storm with 10"-16" lake effect is supposed to start and give us up to another 12". It's a bit early in the year for this.

2. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fond memories living in upstate NY!  Watertown vs. Rochester/Buffalo area, but same lake effect results!  I survived the Blizzard of '77!  (There's a facebook group for that, lol!).

3. davidhef88

Pops, I was only 5 but remember it quite well. We had a 15' drift across the road in front of our house. We had about a dozen stranded motorists that ran into the drift and each other stay at our house for a few days. Luckily the people that owned the corner store lived above it. My dad was making trips there on the snowmobile to get food to feed everyone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

David

Good God

15 inches????  I've got 24 inches of solid snow  in my front yard and it is still November!!! Just sitting here shaking my head.  Pretty sure I'm living in the wrong part of the world

Gary

5. davidhef88

Gary, i think the bigger problem is going to be the 24 hours of lake effect after the storm. It's going to come off of Lake Ontario with high winds. I wouldn't have this problem if you would just keep this cold air up in your country where it belongs. Lol

6. GaryHibbert

David   LOL   LOL   

Ok

I'll just keep our cold temps here.  But you gotta send me so bbq cause it will be too cold for me to go out

Gary

7. davidhef88

It's a deal.

8. davidhef88

Gary, that drift was 15 feet not inches.

9. sifumar

sifumar Newbie

Oh my goodness...we lived at Ft Drum, NY for 2 long winters! Don't miss it!

10. buffalohonker

buffalohonker Newbie

Will have to see just how bad it gets here in Buffalo! Usually these earlier storms are the ones they are right about, its later in the year when they overshoot them!

11. You never know, first one of the year everyone freaks out and we end up getting 4 inches.  Every once in a while, though, BAM!, we get nailed.  Lived in Lancaster, NY about 10 years ago and we got 7 feet in 3 days.  That was fun.

Davidhef, it does look like you're going to get hammered, though.  I'm sure you know the drill, get everyone home and safe then hunker down.  I'm leaving work in a few minutes, our daughter flew in from NC, landed 30 minutes ago, son is on his way home from school.  We'll all be safe and sound before it starts.

12. GaryHibbert

Hey Swede

That's the whole secret  get everybody home and safe!!!!!  After that oh welll, too bad, so sad.  Not a whole lot we can do about the snow or the weather.  Personally I hate it, but..............  Take care, stay warm, keep a fire going, drink lots of hot chocolate.LOL--maybe even put a little run in the hot..

Gary

13. davidhef88

We got lucky and only got about 8 inches of wet heavy snow Tuesday night, and a couple inches of light fluffy stuff last night.

14. buffalohonker

buffalohonker Newbie

Alot more than me! Cheetowaga i got MAYBE 3"

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter Fire Starter

Gary did  you get the rain yesterday. I guess the highway was a skating rink fron Stony plain to Wabamun

Harold

16. GaryHibbert

Hey Harold

Nope,, no rain here but atoday real thick ice fog.  Roads are not good

Gary

17. GaryHibbert

Hey All

We're getting nailed for the 4th time this Fall.  So far this time its put another foot on the ground today and it doesn't look like its getting ready to stop snowing any time soon.  Unfortunately, my road is glare ice under the snow and when I came home from town the 4x4 just refused to turn into the yard.  So will have to get my neighbor's tractor and my tow chain out tomorrow.  At least it was only a five minute walk to the house. Isn't life fun.  LOL

Gary

18. bountyhunter

bountyhunter Fire Starter

I guess we got away lucky then. We are about an hour north east of you in  Darwell and we have about 6". Our neighbors are stuck in Great Falls in a whiteout so it is a big storm

Harold

19. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Its that there Global Warming thing?

You been there.  You know what to do?

Good luck and good smoking.

20. GaryHibbert

When I got up this morning at 4:30 it was 36 below.  At the best part of the day it got up to 25 below.  Too cold for this child--just stayed inside.  Here's a pic of my front yard (plowed) and my back yard.  No shortage of snow here

Gary