Cowboy Candy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Only had enough to make 1 pint jar.
cbc1.JPG

Late jalapeños from daughters garden.
cbc.jpg

Making the liquid syrup.
20 large jalapeños
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

cbc2.JPG

This did make enough syrup for 2 jars.
cbc3.jpg

Wearing gloves, slice and discard stems from peppers, then slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

In a large pot over high heat add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add in the sliced jalapeños, bring the heat back up to high and simmer for exactly 4 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers to clean, sterile canning jars to within a 1/4-inch of the upper rim of the jar.

Put the heat back on under the pot to high and boil the liquid for about 6-7 minutes. Then remove pot from the heat and let cool for about 3 minutes.

Using a ladle (or pitcher with a spout), carefully pour the liquid syrup into the jars, making sure all the jalapeños are completely submerged.
(Take a chopstick and poke it into the bottom of the jar to get any air pockets out)

Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel. Seal with two-piece lids. Place in the fridge.

Let chill for at least 2 weeks (preferably a month.) The longer they sit, the better they will taste.

That sounds delicious!
I'm curious why you simmer the jalapenos. Is it a food safety issue or a taste/texture improvement from raw?
I've never had anything like this. That needs to change.

That sounds delicious!
I'm curious why you simmer the jalapenos. Is it a food safety issue or a taste/texture improvement from raw?
I've never had anything like this. That needs to change.
To soften them up some.
Some of us old toofless ol pharts cant chew them if crispy.

toothless.jpeg

Yeah....Just gimme a fork and a jar of those. I can eat them straight out the jar.

Jim

I do like the cowboy candy. One year I turned my back on the stove and it boiler over. The entire flat top was covered in molten sugar. Big big DOPE.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky