GMS Jim B Model

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcrosby007

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Seminole Al
Well after several years of the old propane smoker I upgraded to the MBS... Well this week I have upgraded again & will be trying the GMS Jim B model... I am new to pellet smoking even though I have bought a AMNPS along with multiple lbs of pellets to use for my MBS40... My questions are more related to the pellets I can use than the actually product... My GMS purchase came with pellets made by the manufacturer of the smoker but after using the pellets for the AMNPS I'm at a crossroad... Seems GMS only has blended versions where with my AMNPS I was able to buy straight pecan, hickory or cherry & blend if i wanted to... So all this babble leads to can I still use the pellets sold by Todd @ AMNPS for the GMS or is the idea behind the pellet smoker change the type of pellets I am limited too... I don't want to buy cheap crap I want the best that will achieve the job of smoke, heat source & burn clean... If that is possible???

You can burn any kind of pellet made for pellet grills in your GMS including Todds Pellets. There are a ton of pellets out there that are blends and some that are 100% pure wood that you are looking for. A lot of people on here buy Lumberjack because they specifically tell you what they are on the bag. I so far have enjoyed the camp chef pellets since its hard for me to get my hands on lumberjack where I am at.

Reactions: dcrosby007
First of all, minor correction but it's GMG, not GMS.
Next, I think you'll find Todd's pellets are too expensive to run in a pellet grill. When burning small amounts in a tube or AMNPS, cost does not matter much, but a pellet grill burns through pellets much quicker. As Geebs mentioned, Lumberjack is a great source for 100% flavorwood pellets, but there seem to be more and more mfgs that are producing them as well. I get Lumberjack delivered in bulk group buys for about $0.37/lb to California.
All BBQ pellets that I've used produce clean smoke and BTU's of all are roughly the same. So it comes down to if you like the flavor they produce and if they are affordable.

Reactions: dcrosby007
Hahaa yeah I just realized the GMG error my bad to those folks out there for that... I have just converted over so my terminology is learning... Appreciate the feedback on this from you all Greatly!!! I have read threads on the Lumber jack & folks talking about them... GMG told me that I can use other pellet brands but to use caution as to what type... They recommended the size needed & to check burn residue afterwards... I am not concerned on the price tag more so on the quality... I have all 3 brands GMG puts out & unfortunately that is all they have is blended bags... I tend to like a straight Hickory or a straight Pecan smoke instead but then I can take a straight Cherry or Apple & then can make my own blend with a Pecan or something... I will look into where i can get the Lumber jack & get that idea up & smoking!!! Thanks for the tips & if you have another more suggestions there appreciated!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky