Gift for the neighbor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatnbeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Cross Plains, WI
I have a neighbor that does things for us from time to time without us asking.  Stuff that just makes life easier for us.  For example, a couple of days ago we were smacked with a blizzard.  I was about to walk out to spend a few hours of removing 18 inches of drifted snow, when all of the sudden he comes around the corner with his bobcat.  He had the snow blower attachment on the front of it and cleared the majority of the driveway in about 3 minutes.  I can't tell you how many times I come home from work and he has removed the giant pile of snow from the end of the driveway that was left by the snow plow.

I'm not sure if he drinks, so I don't want to offer him any of my homebrew.  So I figure that I will smoke him something special and take it over to him and his wife.  His wife is the other thing.  She has a rare form of cancer and is participating in expeiremental treatment that is not covered by insurance.  It is the only thing she has left to try and fight it.

So my question, what would be a good thing to smoke for them?  I will also supply them with the sides and everything so they don't have to worry about dinner at least one night.  I want them to have some leftovers also.  Thoughts? 

I think I might, in general conversation, ask if his wife is on any kind of special diet.  My brother is a pharmacist and specialized in chemo compounding when in pharmacy school.  He says now with all the new stuff out and a lot of experimental stuff you are on a special diet.  He said if you talk to him and ask how she is doing you might just say, " Does she have to be on any kind of special diet while taking this stuff."  If she is not  I would suggest a large pulled pork butt, brother says to watch out with the hot rub and sauce as many chemo patients suffer from nausea and to just go easy with the peppers.  He agrees with me that a good pork butt, smoked and pulled would probably be the best, he has eaten after me too many times to count and loves my pulled pork so he has some idea of what we are talking about.  Good luck, if she can eat it I am sure they will enjoy it and appreciate you doing it for them.  It's the little things that mean alot to people, especially when they are down sick.  Good luck meatnbeer!

Your Friend

Barry

I agree with the diet thing. I think a good choice would be a nice smoked turkey. You could carve it up for them, and even vacuum pack some for freezing. You sound like a great neighbor. I'm sure they will appreciate anything you bring over! Thanks for caring.

I think I might, in general conversation, ask if his wife is on any kind of special diet.  My brother is a pharmacist and specialized in chemo compounding when in pharmacy school.  He says now with all the new stuff out and a lot of experimental stuff you are on a special diet.  He said if you talk to him and ask how she is doing you might just say, " Does she have to be on any kind of special diet while taking this stuff."  If she is not  I would suggest a large pulled pork butt, brother says to watch out with the hot rub and sauce as many chemo patients suffer from nausea and to just go easy with the peppers.  He agrees with me that a good pork butt, smoked and pulled would probably be the best, he has eaten after me too many times to count and loves my pulled pork so he has some idea of what we are talking about.  Good luck, if she can eat it I am sure they will enjoy it and appreciate you doing it for them.  It's the little things that mean alot to people, especially when they are down sick.  Good luck meatnbeer!

Your Friend

Barry
Barry nailed it---hint around & find out a little of what she can eat, but be a little sneakier than you are when you're trying to find out what the wife wants for Christmas.

Bear

Diet restrictions was one of my biggest concerns.  That's why I made sure to mention her.  If I did do a shoulder, I guess I should make sure to avoid using a finishing sauce.  Just smoke it up and let them do with it what they want.

icon_cool.gif

I'm also with Barry and ask him what is the diet restrictions for his wife and then you will know more of what you can do. Now I do know that Pops and Tip's recipe for a rub is low in salt but I don't know about fat or the other stuff. You can do alittle research and it will give you alot of choices. it's a nice thing that you and your neighbor are doing for each other. I just wish folks would help each or just even talk to their neighbors this world could be a much nicer place to be in. 

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I'm also with Barry and ask him what is the diet restrictions for his wife and then you will know more of what you can do. Now I do know that Pops and Tip's recipe for a rub is low in salt but I don't know about fat or the other stuff. You can do alittle research and it will give you alot of choices. it's a nice thing that you and your neighbor are doing for each other. I just wish folks would help each or just even talk to their neighbors this world could be a much nicer place to be in. 
i too think that is very nice

i think what ever you do will be appreciate to show him that his friend ship has not gone unnoticed
beercheer.gif

Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ribs...  Find out what they like and and she can eat then go for it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky