Get out the bibs, Boys and Girls! Post your favorite Mini-WSM Q-view here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Case!    So i'm not the only one to caveman on briquettes i see!

Yep been doing the Caveman cooking for years! When we went camping when I was a kid my dad liked to pull stunts to surprise our camp guests. First night was always throwing the T-Bones right in the fire. Next morning was for the encore was breakfast in a brown bag! Always fun to see the reactions of the new comers. He'd tell everyone he'd cook the steaks, and ask for everyone to get there's ready and he'd "throw them on the fire". I remember one lady totally threw a fit freaking out that he'd ruined $10 worth of steak. Later the was praise at how good it was![/quote]
The thing is most only do caveman with lump charcoal.  I wouldn't do it with KB but i'll do it with a good hardwood briquette.

Very nice.  I gotta try the beer can way.

Last edited:
all these dishes look great... Suie... i did porterhouses tonight myself... but for some reason they didn't look like yours... you sure yours wasn't a T-bone... kinda looks like one...

all these dishes look great... Suie... i did porterhouses tonight myself... but for some reason they didn't look like yours... you sure yours wasn't a T-bone... kinda looks like one...
Thanks! The label on it said porterhouse, so that's what I went by. The only difference I notice between the two is that a t-bone has a smaller tenderloin portion. What about it makes it look like a t-bone to you? (I want to learn!) It was marked a "select" porterhouse, which I think just has to do with the grade of meat. (prime, choice, select) Would that make a difference?

Agreed - the beer can chicken looks awesome!!

The Porterhouse is kind of a composite steak coming from the point where the tenderloin and top loin meet. Basically an over-sized T-Bone steak the porterhouse is thicker cut and has much more of the tenderloin relative to the loin portion. If you remove the bone and cut out the two steaks that basically make up this steak you will get a tenderloin steak and a top loin (or New York Strip Steak).

Thanks! The label on it said porterhouse, so that's what I went by. The only difference I notice between the two is that a t-bone has a smaller tenderloin portion. What about it makes it look like a t-bone to you? (I want to learn!) It was marked a "select" porterhouse, which I think just has to do with the grade of meat. (prime, choice, select) Would that make a difference?

Agreed - the beer can chicken looks awesome!!

Little 4 lb pork butt on the mini. Rubbed with Jeff's rub then smoked over hickory, apple & peach.This was right after it came out of the stall, at about 175. Unfortunately, my Guru food probe got fried during the reverse sear of the porterhouse last weekend. (it actually caught fire) So it was useless here - had to use the Thermapen.

Took it to 195 then wrapped in foil and let it rest for 30 minutes. I would normally have gone to 205 and rested longer, but I was hungry! Here it is after pulling, before applying the finishing sauce.

Haven't made pulled pork in a long time so it sure tasted good. The mini is a MESS now, though! 
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky