Gayle's Low Fat Sausage Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
A friend had a cardiac incident and mentioned my recipes were mostly not allowed on his new diet. I really felt for him but have cooked for various restrictions and realize you can make good food that is low fat. What is something you think you might never have again on a low fat diet? Sausage Gravy? Wrong. Here is a tasty low fat version.

What makes sausage gravy high in fat? Well pork sausage to start. Then butter is usually added to make a roux with flour. Top this off with whole milk and it is delicious but you can feel your arteries clog as you eat it.

This recipe makes a ground turkey or chicken bulk sausage and uses no butter and skim milk. You can get a nice thick gravy without the fat but the feel on the tongue is different. I get around this by using more turkey sausage than I would pork sausage and you get a hearty thick meaty gravy.

I started off by making a turkey or chicken sausage. Please note, this sausage is not meant to be cooked on its own. It is so lean it will be very dry if you try and use it for patties or links. It is great in a thick gravy!

I mixed 500 grams (1 pound) of ground turkey or chicken with:

• 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) salt
  • 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) coarse black pepper
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground sage
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ginger
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dried thyme
  • 0.5 ml (1/8 teaspoon) cayenne
Let it sit, covered, in the fridge overnight.

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 01.jpg

Mix the following together in a bowl and set aside:

• 1.5 ml (1/3 teaspoon) ground sage
  • 1.5 ml (1/3 teaspoon) dried rosemary
  • 1.5 ml (1/3 teaspoon) dried thyme
  • 1.5 ml (1/3 teaspoon) pepper
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Crumble the turkey or chicken sausage over the pan and cook, breaking the meat down into small chunks, until cooked through.

Add the mixed seasonings and cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until the herbs give off a nice smell.

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 02.jpg

Sprinkle 100 ml (1/2 cup) of flour over the meat and stir to coat the meat.

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 03.jpg

Add 900 ml (4 cups) of skim milk and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring constantly until the gravy is nice and thick, 5 to 8 minutes. The flour will want to stick to the bottom of the pan so scrape often while stirring.

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 05.jpg

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 06.jpg

This gravy refrigerates and reheats well.

The gravy can be served over biscuits but they are quite high fat. Try it over an English Muffin or a slice of fresh French bread. It makes a great light meal if you use it as a topping on a baked potato.

I did a calculation of the nutrition facts on a nutrition calculator:

Low Fat Sausage Gravy 04.jpg

The Verdict

This is a really good sausage gravy. I would have no problem serving it to my friends. The gravy is rich and thick with a lot of turkey meat to make it hearty! I hope my friend likes it!

Disco

Attachments

• Low Fat Sausage Gravy 03.jpg
    Low Fat Sausage Gravy 03.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Low Fat Sausage Gravy 05.jpg
    Low Fat Sausage Gravy 05.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 8
Any sausage gravy is ok in my book! And that looks mighty tasty! I like the idea of topping a baked potatoe with it! Both of my young boys would go nuts over something like that! Very nice Disco!

If you use boneless pork sirloin meat and grind it yourself, which is 95% lean, for the meat you avoid the ground turkey and/or chicken skin and fat in 80/20 ground turkey/chicken! And use Marshall's Creek no salt spices to make your sausage with! https://www.pureandnaturalspices.com/

Last edited:
Any sausage gravy is ok in my book! And that looks mighty tasty! I like the idea of topping a baked potatoe with it! Both of my young boys would go nuts over something like that! Very nice Disco!

Thanks so much!

I hate to admit it but I need to cut back and I love B&G - thanks for the recipe, it looks really good

Sadly, we could all use a bit of fat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky