Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dang, this is going to be a long wait ......

Gary
Gary, I just got a PM from Dave Omak about using a vacuum canister to speed up the time for pickling.

Claims you can make these pickles in 18 hours.

I'm going to check it out & give it a try.

I have some errands to run today & I'll look for some pickling cukes.

I'll let you know what happens.

Al

That batch will last a day or 2....   They look good already...  
OK Dave I just tried a pickle after 20 hours & it tastes like it has been pickling for 4 or 5 weeks.

I think 3 days in the canisters will be like 3 or 4 months in the Ball jars.

This is absolutely great!

I can't thank you enough for finding this information for me.  
2thumbs.gif

Al

Still looking for canisters for my Nesco (they are out)   I hope these pickles are as good as you say, we put 6 more jars up last night, (Cukes coming on like gang busters)

Gary

Still looking for canisters for my Nesco (they are out)   I hope these pickles are as good as you say, we put 6 more jars up last night, (Cukes coming on like gang busters)

Gary
If you have the jar sealer, it will work in quart jars.....

If you have the jar sealer, it will work in quart jars.....
Nah dumb ole me didn't get all the attachments when I bought the sealer.

I emailed Nesco to see when they will be back in stock 

Also trying to find out if other brands would work ? I'm thinking is the tube

attachment different ?

Gary

UPDATE!! 2 days & the color already looks like they have been pickling for 2 or 3 months.

The taste is also coming along nicely.

I think 1 or 2 more days & they will be ready!

Al

UPDATE:

Day 3, they are taking on a lot more flavor.

I think most folks would be happy with them right now.

I like my pickles a little stronger, so I'm going to let them go another day.

Al

After waiting six weeks for the pickles to be ready, my wife and kids ate everything I made in a couple days. They are really, really good tasting pickles.  I just made 9 quarts of pickles and may look into a vacuum canister system to speed up the process.  

thanks again!

After waiting six weeks for the pickles to be ready, my wife and kids ate everything I made in a couple days. They are really, really good tasting pickles.  I just made 9 quarts of pickles and may look into a vacuum canister system to speed up the process.  

thanks again!
If you have the jar attachment, just vac-seal the jars....

What a great idea, Al!  I even have a Foodsaver with vacuum container.  Will definitely try this one, maybe even with okra and a bit of heat.

points.gif

Wow! I just found this. I've been wanting to get into canning and pickling so this thread  was a great find.

Thanks, Al

How did you sterilize the vacuum canister and the storage canister?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky