Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

My mother liked to say that garlic is Italian birth control, but obviously it doesn't work in same-Italian relationships.
It's crazy, if everybody eats garlic no one can smell it!  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Al

I'm a fiend for garlic, as are most of my friends. I've never had much luck growing it, though.

Those garlic chives come on like machine gun fire. I tried several times to eradicate them but they always came back.

Those gardens also have dill sprouting all over the place, unless the new owners wiped it out. Once you let dill go to seed you will find it popping up in completely unexpected places, forever.

I'm a fiend for garlic, as are most of my friends. I've never had much luck growing it, though.

Those garlic chives come on like machine gun fire. I tried several times to eradicate them but they always came back.

Those gardens also have dill sprouting all over the place, unless the new owners wiped it out. Once you let dill go to seed you will find it popping up in completely unexpected places, forever.
We have tried growing garlic too, without any success. However garlic chives thrive down here. But the dill dies in the summer because it's too hot. I have let it go to seed & the seeds don't come up. I've pretty much given upon using fresh dill in my pickles.

Al

Al,

Today I put up your pickle recipe...Was easy...Don't know if I can wait 6 weeks though, LOL!

Thanks for sharing this recipe,

John
I know what you mean John.

When I first started making them I would make 4 jars every week. So in 6 weeks I would have a steady supply of pickles.

Now I keep 20 jars in the fridge & every time I eat 4 jars I make 4 more.

The longer they stay in the brine the better they get. I've had them over 1 year old & they are delicious!

Al

Thanks for the recipe.

If I cut the pickles to chips instead of spears, would I still need to wait 6 weeks before eating?  My kids aren't very patient once they start eating the regular chips I make with the Ball kosher dill mix.

Thanks for the recipe.

If I cut the pickles to chips instead of spears, would I still need to wait 6 weeks before eating?  My kids aren't very patient once they start eating the regular chips I make with the Ball kosher dill mix.
Sorry Man, even with the chips you have to wait 6 weeks.

Al

Wow I can't believe I missed this. I make summer pickles, I make beet pickles, I have even tried watermelon pickles (I believe there is a thread here), Those looks great and if you can use Walmart cucumbers  I am impressed.

I have tried 21 day pickles and lime pickles but never with any success. I love the garlic dill too. I bet some cocktail onions would be good in 'em. I put them in my pickle beets.....

Those look great.

In my top 5 on the list now!

Thanks!

yahoo.gif
  Way to go Al sounds like a real easy and tasty recipe I'm to a garlic man love pickle garlic cloves. Will for sure be trying this.

Warren

Great Post Al, we love Garlic Dills  going to have to give this a try  Thanks for post it   
points1.png

Gary

Wow I can't believe I missed this. I make summer pickles, I make beet pickles, I have even tried watermelon pickles (I believe there is a thread here), Those looks great and if you can use Walmart cucumbers  I am impressed.

I have tried 21 day pickles and lime pickles but never with any success. I love the garlic dill too. I bet some cocktail onions would be good in 'em. I put them in my pickle beets.....

Those look great.

In my top 5 on the list now!

Thanks!
Thanks Kevin,

The Walmart pickling cukes are better than what they have here at the farmers market. They are so crunchy & fresh.

Al

yahoo.gif
  Way to go Al sounds like a real easy and tasty recipe I'm to a garlic man love pickle garlic cloves. Will for sure be trying this.

Warren
Thanks Warren,

The hard part is waiting for them to get the right flavor. That's why I make a few jars every couple of weeks so I always have a steady supply.

Al

Great Post Al, we love Garlic Dills  going to have to give this a try  Thanks for post it   
points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary,

If you make them you will never buy another store bought pickle.

Thanks for the point too!

Al

Hey Al, we made a batch of your pickles last night now were are in a holding pattern 

they sure look pretty

gary

Hey Al, we made a batch of your pickles last night now were are in a holding pattern 

they sure look pretty

gary
That's great Gary!

I wish I could figure out a way to do them without the wait.

But believe me it will be worth it, I really like them after about 5 or 6 months.

Al

do they keep indefinitely in the fridge    as much as we love pickles i don't think they will make it that long.

gary

do they keep indefinitely in the fridge    as much as we love pickles i don't think they will make it that long.

gary
I make a batch every 3 or 4 weeks so I always have a constant supply.

I've had them in the fridge for 1 year & they were still very crunchy & full of flavor.

I don't think they would ever go bad, but after a couple of years they may become soft & not as crunchy.

Al

Question       the brine was supposed to be hot ???? when poured over the pickles ?

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky